Lores Of Mount Olympus: The Timeless Tales Of Greek Mythology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Greek Mythology has undoubtedly had a significant influence on our lives. The early decades of the 2000s were marked with literary shifts, transitioning towards exploring the realm of fantasy. A major chunk of literary enthusiasts grew up with post-apocalyptic and utopian, and most spectacularly, mythological fiction. As a literature nerd myself, the only escape I saw from the harrowing reads of school was the books that explored the realms of fantasy.

Greek Mythology stood as the most poignant and exciting one out of them all. So much so, that it’s safe to say that all my teenage years were spent browsing through libraries, immersed in the lore of the gods of Olympus. Yet surprisingly enough, it has taken me quite a bit of time before realizing the magnitude of impact this genre has collectively had on our generation. This consequentially raises the question, what is so great about Greek Mythology that it has influenced a whole generation of people?

Well, first of all, the best part of mythical retellings is their ability to provide an escape. Mythology brings to life a set of fantastical and equally rich storytelling, crafted beautifully with enchanting storylines and complex characters. A set of larger-than-life themes are simply what attracted a ten-year-old me to the “Percy Jackson” series and an equally enthusiastic 14-year-old me to Homer’s great epics. Greek Mythology introduced me to an entire alternative universe to escape into, with the same rules that ran reality, although flipped at the corners.

Apart from the escapism, there is also something particularly endearing about the narration that runs through these myths. Some might call it supernatural and even borderline dreamy, yet even with their elaborate otherworldly settings, the stories still manage to resonate with real-life experiences so well. Greek Mythology deals with the same themes of life, death, tragic love, the battles towards self-preservation, and most of all journeys. Greek gods were plagued with the same attributes and qualities that drive humanity, and their stories of navigating through misadventures present a peculiar moral value, a new lens to explore the essence of life. Even as fiction, there was this semblance of reality in the world of Greek Heroes that brought an entire generation of book readers together.

While fiction does act as a reflection on society, it often paints its heroes in the shadow of a perfect being, perpetuating a destructive ideal of human nature. The best thing about Greek mythology, on the other hand, is that it seeks to challenge this very notion. The gods of Olympus have extraordinary powers, which they often wield in the most majestic of ways. But that does not discount the fact that they are mostly driven by the same ideals and flaws that we, the readers, as mere ordinary beings possess. This very element is what makes a strong impact and ties together readers through common concepts that they can relate to.

Lastly, the “found family” trope, where a mutual sense of belongingness, completely away from social divisions brings the characters together, something that also happens so often within the different epics of Greek gods and heroes, deeply attaches the readers to this genre. The stories exhibit several interactions and establish the building up of strong relations throughout, something that was both compelling to read and fascinating to imagine.

Greek fiction has since managed to be the subject of numerous literary writings ranging from classics to even children’s books. The cultural impact has been so significant that it cannot be denied that this genre of literature holds immense potential to turn into a full-fledged pop culture movement someday. Evidently, as a great fan of the same, I’ll be waiting and ready to witness the spectacle in its full glory.

Sitara Sigi

Delhi North '24

A history major at Hansraj college, University of Delhi. A literature nerd from Delhi who always finds herself hyperfixating on fictions and TV shows. Loves indulging in fun relatable conversations and discussions on social issues.