Hub Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hub Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Fashion

Chic On A Budget: Explore These 6 Homegrown Brands For A Style-Filled Semester!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Everyday is a fashion show and the world is a runway.

Coco Chanel, French fashion designer

Forget textbooks and lectures for a moment, let’s talk about self-expression! Beyond an educational institution, a college serves as a runway for its students. One can find their style and even start conversations based on fits. In fact, the style of every decade can be identified through its youth! 

But something that has bothered me for a few years now is the fact that slowly, we are turning into a generation of ‘sameness’. The availability, accessibility, and affordability of mass-produced clothes have developed a new phenomenon where a certain age buys the same clothes from the same brand and similarly styles them. There is nothing wrong with this but to have a unique style is to have a unique personality. Brands like H&M and Zara trickle down to everyone’s wardrobe and the phenomenon of sameness continues. Additionally, one cannot deny the allegations which are associated with these brands, especially after the Rana Plaza incident. However, consumption trends, thanks to fashion influencers and fashion hauls, will continue to rise. One of the ways of tackling this is through self-consciousness and by investing in the right brands. 

So if you are a college student looking for brands that meet your fashion needs in an affordable and ethically responsible manner, then here are six budget-friendly homegrown brands that you should consider for your next purchase (and of course to level up your style game!). 

1. Styx Ways 

This apparel store offers handmade bralette tops, skirts, beautiful corsets, cotton shirts, and dresses. The range starts from INR 399-1999. It’s a made-to-order online shop

2. Taavi 

Taavi is a homegrown brand launched by the e-commerce fashion company Myntra. The company sells apparel for men and women with traditional Indian embroidery like Kolkata’s Kantha and Odisha’s Sambalpuri ikat. If your style is simple and you love adorning colorful textile prints with comfortable fabric, this is the place to go! The price range starts from INR 359.

3. Oziss 

Oziss is a sustainable and eco-friendly brand catering to staple fashion needs. The brand sells for both men and women. If your style is full of solid colors and essential pieces, this is the shop for you. The range starts from INR 399/-. 

4. Littlebox India

Littlebox India is a brand specifically for all the GenZs out there. The styles are unique and extremely wearable. The brand caters to both men and women. From skirts to Oxford shoes, you can find them all here. The range starts from INR 499/-. 

5. Shop Hey Missy

If you like wearing trendy yet unique styles, Shop Hey Missy is the place you need to scroll through right now. The collection caters to the present trends but the quality is far better than what the fast fashion brands offer. Being a consumer of this brand, I can vouch for this. The collection starts from INR 490.  

6. Just Lil Things

Need affordable but unique earrings? Then Just Lil Things needs to be on your list. Every piece is interesting and offers a fine quality. Their catalog ranges from necklaces, and earrings to beautiful rings and bracelets. The price begins from INR 69. 

Remember, college is your runway of expression. While affordability and accessibility are important, don’t let trends dictate your individuality. Explore these homegrown brands, support ethical practices, and most importantly, have fun experimenting! Your style is a reflection of you, so let it shine. True fashion is about self-expression and not succumbing to mass-produced trends. So, strut your stuff, own your runway, and embrace the style in YOU!

Anoushka Purohit

Delhi North '25

Anoushka Purohit is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Editorial team. Her writing interests range from politics, society, to talking about individuality and asking questions about life in general. Beyond Her Campus, she is a second year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She contributed as editor and interviewer for an online community page called Humans of Bhubaneswar and also worked as the head of social media for a climate awareness organisation called Fridays For Future, Odisha. Her reading interests can be identified by the number of classics she hoards as well the unique literature which finds space in her bookshelf. Her leisure time is purely dedicated to reading, dancing and attending music concerts. Apart from that, she considers herself to be a die hard rock fan and a metalhead.