camera event live settings 66134?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
camera event live settings 66134?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

LOCKDOWN THAT OPENED THE GATEWAY FOR SOUTH INDIAN FILM INDUSTRIES

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Lockdown has acted as a gateway for exploring a plethora of new activities. Some took to YouTube channels whereas others started to innovate artistic things. Amidst this new normal trajectory, the entry of OTT (Over The Top) platforms rectified the disappointment of not going to theaters. Many movies were released on OTT platforms and people started watching movies on TV and mobile phones. This time, let’s discuss South Indian movies and understand the shift in their status quo during the pandemic.

South Indian movie industries are usually always misunderstood as industries that release mass masala action thrillers showcasing zero physics. People even mock the action sequences portrayed in movies, like the flying car, over-the-board fight scenes, etc. that completely ignore the plausibility of logic they seek. There were many legendary films that were released in South India, which gained pan-Indian recognition. Most of the films from Tamil Nadu and Kerala withheld naturalism and realism. Having been a constant admirer of these two industries, I have noticed that the films expose various tropes of undulating emotions stifled within human selves through celluloid. These emotions blend well with the lives of common people who adhere to these overpowering realistic pieces with no hesitation.

When compared to Bollywood, the films released here are not even remotely close to the budget or set designs. However, they never deliberately disappoint us with their cinematography or the content they bestow. While Bollywood mostly backs entertainers that can be a shortcut to escape one’s predicaments, the films from the South alienate us from our lives and take us to another galaxy, where we question our existence and the internal dilemmas we have in our lives. 

OTT has been a shot in the arm for the indie movies that have always adhered to their native audience. People started noticing the superfluity of genres available. The first critical acclaim I came across was for the Malayalam movie Joji, starring Fahadh Faasil as the lead. This was one of the first movies released on OTT Platforms. It exposes the threshold of inhibiting one’s dark self and how it explodes and deteriorates the life of the other. It overemphasizes the notion of Karma and how results in setbacks. This movie is inspired by Macbeth and a Malayalam movie Irakal. Many critics praised the adaptation of Shakespeare’s Macbeth into the script.

Lockdown played a vital role in stimulating access to YouTube channels, vlogs, cooking videos, and movie reviews. This gradually made people see the review first and watch the movie later, after watching the responses it gets online. This had a significant benefit as many people who weren’t acquainted with Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam and Telugu movies came to acknowledge the beautiful skill and versatility of the actors. Dhanush’s Asuran and Karnan, both well-written films set on the outskirts of villages inhabited by many marginalized communities, grabbed a lot of appreciation and the actor bagged the National Film Award for his acting in Asuran.

These industries also give vital recognition to women-centric films. This encouraged many actresses to experiment with projects that portrayed the patriarchy and misogyny existing in this modern world. One such film was The Great Indian Kitchen, which got a lot of appreciation from all strata of the society. It blatantly exposed the masculinity and male chauvinism that paves women to be marginalized and stuck in the Kitchen. These movies were so relatable that people wanted more from these industries. They started watching old cult movies from these industries. Reviews on YouTube helped people to explore the nuances of South Indian culture, language, food and customs. Many started nitpicking and critically analyzing the features and execution of every movie. The Telugu industry expanded its genre and explored films like Jersey.

As lockdown died out, the popularity of South movies skyrocketed. Films like Nayattu, C U Soon, (both Malayalam movies), Garuda Gamana Vrishabha Vahana (Kannada), Jai Bhim, Soorarai Pottru (both Tamil movies) and many more were exceptionally acclaimed and earned a space in everyone’s heart. Even today, YouTubers from various strata of Indian society react to even the teasers of the movies to be released in these industries. If the OTT platforms continue the trend of releasing indie films, maybe we can see a diverse list of Oscar awardees.

Nihala Farha KI

Delhi North '24

Nihala Farha is a Senior Editor at Her Campus Delhi North. She monitors and edits articles of different genres spanning from entertainment to news. She avidly indulges in brainstorming sessions where she passionately puts out quirky ideas and concepts primarily on pop culture. She is a third-year graduate student majoring in economics at Hansraj College, Delhi University. Apart from her role as a Senior Editor, she is also a content writer at Quizzario Pvt Ltd, an infotainment and Gamification solutions firm, where she writes content to market the initiatives of the firm. She also served as an editorial head at Nishtha - The Civil Services Society of Hansraj College. Nihala is a movie buff and loves to critically analyze and deliberate on social and cultural issues portrayed in movies. She is a voracious reader who admires the cult classics of literature. She also enjoys music and can listen to any of its genres anytime anywhere. An ambivert by nature, she can be moody at times and gets overwhelmed by her successes and failures. Realistically unraveling the ground intricacies of life while putting oneself together is her oneliner and she arduously champions this idea in all the journeys of her life. A calm day at home with a cup of tea has always been her comfort haven.