body images 2019 10 18 carrots cucumber delicious 1640777jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 10 18 carrots cucumber delicious 1640777jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Let’s Go Vegan!: Must Try Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Every year people make different resolutions to eat better and get healthier, and turning vegan is one of the foremost things you can do to improve your health & lifestyle! The famous plant-based diet is not only limited to improving your health, it has many more benefits, the major benefit being protecting the animals! Vegan is definitely the new sexy!

It is necessary that people realize the importance and the need for Veganism. There are so many delicious vegan recipes that you haven’t tried yet, which are so nutritious and nourishing! Her Campus Delhi North is here at your service, providing you simple vegan dishes that you can try today!

Winner Winner Burger Dinner- Chickpea Burger with Caramelized Onions

Burgers are without a doubt absolutely everyone’s favorites, but ever thought about a burger which is healthy, high in protein, and tasty at the same time? Chickpeas Burger is the answer you need, so creamy, so delicious!

Serves: 2

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 40 mins

Total Time: 50 mins

Ingredients: 

Patties:

~ 30g cauliflower florets 

~ 0.2 tsp coriander seeds

~ 1.5 cups of boiled chickpeas

~ 0.6 tsp za’atar spice blend or garam masala

~ 0.4g sundried tomato

~ 0.4 tbsp minced ginger

~ 0.8 tbsp flax eggs 

~ ¼ cup finely chopped red onions

~ 0.1 tsp red pepper flakes

~ a generous dash of black pepper

~ 0.8 tsp extra virgin olive oil or use tahini  

~ flour, oat, chickpea for gluten-free or wheat or bread crumbs if needed

Caramelized Onions:

~ 0.4 medium onion, thinly sliced

~ 0.8 tsp oil

~ 0.1 tsp sugar

~ 0.1 tsp cayenne

~ 0.2 tsp sweet paprika

~ salt, as per taste

Instructions:

1. In a food processor, add cauliflower and coriander seeds and process to a coarse mixture.

2. Add the chickpeas, sun-dried tomato, cilantro, salt, garlic, ginger, flax eggs and pulse a few times (5-second pulses) so most of the chickpeas disintegrate. There should be almost no whole chickpeas and half of them should be pureed. Add onion, pepper flames, oil. Mix and mash them all and taste salt and spice.

3. Add flour or breadcrumbs if the mixture is too wet. Add another flax egg if the mixture is too dry

4. Shape the mixture into patties and freeze the patties for 10 minutes before frying.

5. Pan fry with a little oil for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Or Brush oil on top and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for 5 minutes.

6. For caramelized onions, In a pan heat oil on medium heat. Add the onions, salt, and sugar and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent.

7. Add the cayenne and paprika, mix and cook for another few minutes until golden.

Arrange the patty and veggies with different toppings with caramelized onions on the side and have a happy meal.

Tip: The key to less crumbly patty is blending up the chickpeas well. With large pieces, the patty can get crumbly. Overblended chickpeas get a mashed bean texture so you want the texture somewhere in between

Spaghetti No Regretti!

The best thing about spaghetti or any pasta is that it’s quick, delicious and if you do it right it can be healthy. The very basic and very tasty dish we love! 

Serves: 2

Prep Time: 15 mins

Cook Time: 10 mins

Total Time: 25 mins

Ingredients:

~ 70g whole wheat spaghetti 

~ ½ lemon

~ ½ yellow bell pepper, sliced thin

~ ½ yellow red pepper, sliced thin

~ ⅔ cup mushroom

~ 3 cloves garlic, grated pr crushed

~ 1 small piece of ginger

~ 2 tbsp olive oil

~ 1 small broccoli

~ salt and pepper, as per taste

Instructions:

1. Cook the spaghetti in salted water for the time specified on the packet. Reserve the water.

2. Chop all the vegetables and crush garlic and ginger till the time spaghetti is being boiled.

3. In a pan on medium heat, add the olive oil, garlic, ginger, and crushed red pepper. Sauté for a few minutes till fragrant.

4. Add the red and yellow peppers, broccoli, mushroom and sauté for a minute or two and later add ½ lemon to it

5. Sauté for just a minute then add the pasta and 2-3 tbsp of the cooking water.

6. Add salt and pepper and combine. Serve immediately.

7. Add vegan mozzarella to the spaghetti and your dish is ready! 

You can also add tofu and salad with it to make it more filling!

For the Cheese Lovers- Vegan Tofu 65

The Vegan Tofu 65 is inspired by our very treasured and mouth-watering Paneer (Cheese). The flavors of this recipe have been influenced by the Chinese sweet and sour with a tinge of Indian flavors in it!

Serves:2

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 30 mins

Total Time: 40 mins

Ingredients:

For the Tofu:

~ 200g firm or extra-firm tofu

~ 1.5 tbsp all-purpose flour, use rice flour for gluten-free

~ 1.5 tbsp cornstarch

~ 3 fresh or frozen curry leaves

~ 0.25 tsp paprika

~ 0.13 tsp cayenne

~ 0.25 tsp garlic powder

~ 0.5 tsp minced ginger

~ 0.5 tsp lemon juice

~ 1 tsp soy sauce, tamari for gluten-free

~ Salt, as per taste

~ 2 tbsp water

For the Sauce:

~ 1 tsp oil

~ 0.5-1 hot green chilies, sliced thin

~ 5 curry leaves

~ 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

~ 0.25 green bell pepper sliced

~ 0.25 small onion, sliced

~ 0.5 tbsp soy sauce, tamari for gluten-free

~ 0.13 tsp freshly ground black pepper

~ 0.5 tsp sugar

~ 1 tsp cornstarch

~ 0.25 cup of water

Instructions:

1. In a large bowl, add flour, cornstarch, curry leaves, paprika, cayenne, garlic, salt, and ginger. Add lemon, soy sauce, and water to make a thick batter.

2. Add tofu and toss to coat. Spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet or dish, Spray oil, bake at 400 deg F for 20 mins.

3. Sauce: Heat oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add chilies and cook for a minute, then add curry leaves and garlic and cook for 1 minute or until just about translucent.

4. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until onion is golden on some edges. Add sauces, black pepper, salt, and sugar, and mix well.

5. Mix cornstarch in 1/2 cup water. Add the water cornstarch slurry to the pan and bring it to a boil to thicken.

6. Fold in the baked tofu lightly and take off the heat.

Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice or grains.

The Dip We Need- Hummus

The best thing about hummus is that it blends anywhere, from toppings to sauces, to salad dressing, and to almost anything! Hummus is something you cannot afford to miss. It is high in protein and has an amazing texture. Bonus points as it is much better than any store-bought hummus! Try it yourself!

Serves: 2

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 10 mins

Total Time: 20 mins

Ingredients:

~ 1.5 cup chickpeas (or garbanzo beans)

~ ¼ cup sesame seeds (for tahini)

~ 3 tbsp lemon juice

~ 3 garlic cloves

~ ¼ tsp ground cumin 

~ Salt, as per taste

~ 2 tbsp olive oil

Instructions:

1. For Tahini, take a pan and heat the sesame seeds for about 3 minutes, till they are slightly brown. 

2. Put the brown sesame seeds in a food processor to form a crumbly paste, to help things along add some non-flavored oil such as grapeseed or sunflower. 

3. A crumbly paste will be formed, scrape the paste from sides and add salt, and mix it a few times till the time a creamy paste is not formed.

4. For hummus, add lime juice, salt, garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and ½ tsp of ground cumin. Blend all the ingredients together in the food processor.

5. Take 1.5 cup boiled chickpeas and add them to the paste. Keep blending the chickpeas for a few minutes till there are no whole chickpeas left. Scrape and repeat the process a few times till a smooth paste is formed, you can also add some water to make the hummus even.

6. Take the hummus out of the food processor and add chili flakes and olive oil on top of it!

It can be stored for a week when kept in an air-tight container.

Bon Appetit!

A literature student from Delhi University. An artist, a bibliophile and an aspiring writer, an enthusiast for learning and growing as a person <3