WESTERN MUSIC: MY ROUTE TO NOSTALGIA

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

For some of us, music is a way of life. We are blessed that we exist in a world where we are exposed to different genres of music, tunes, and instruments. They blend to produce a diverse range of melodies. Being an avid listener, I come across various types of songs almost every day. But it is often not possible to know all of them. Some of us are all in for Bollywood songs, while others might be inclined to a different genre. Some have a knack for Western music, while others are obsessed with K-Pop. Personally, my life has been filled with Bollywood songs. I have grown up listening to Hindi cinema classics. But amidst my love for Hindi music, I also have a soft spot for Western music.

In today’s time, Indians are greatly exposed to Western pop culture. This has increased with the use of social media. However, back in the day, when I discovered Western music, its reach and accessibility were limited. I used to learn about new releases through word of mouth, CDs, or TV music channels.

I haven’t been a consistent follower of Western music but I’ve grown up listening to a few of them, now regarded as classics. I would credit my Western music preferences to the people I spent time with. For example, my father introduced me to Michael Jackson. He was the first Western musician I ever heard of. At every house party, one could spot my father jamming to MJ’s “Just Beat It(1982) and “Smooth Criminal” (1987). He also used to mimic the famous Moon Walk! My dad made me fall in love with evergreens like “We Will Rock You” by the British rock band Queen,Summer of 69’” by Bryan Adams, and “Last Christmas” by Wham! However, my all-time favorite will always be “Paradiseby Coldplay.

Last Christmas, I gave you my heart
But the very next day, you gave it away
This year, to save me from tears
I’ll give it to someone special

A stanza from “Last Christmas” by Wham!

Next up were my school friends. Most of my school buddies were self-proclaimed ‘Western music experts’. So among them, I was the one with little to no familiarity with such music. Looking back, I am grateful to them for introducing me to songs that I cherish to this date. The first song that I ever performed in the school was “Count on Me” by Bruno Mars. I remember getting so hooked on its lyrics that it took less than a day to memorize the song!

If you’re tossin’ and you’re turnin’ and you just can’t fall asleep
I’ll sing a song beside you
And if you ever forget how much you really mean to me
Everyday, I will remind you.

A stanza from “Count on Me” by Bruno Mars

The song is still close to my heart, and whenever I think of it, it reminds me of my schoolmates. If you are an early 2000s kid, you know that Justin Bieber’s “Baby” took the world by storm. I vividly recall my guy friends grooving to it in third grade. Those were such fun times!

You know you love me, I know you care. Just shout whenever, and I’ll be there. You are my love, you are my heart.

A stanza from “Baby” by Justin Bieber

My friends and I also enjoyed listening to “Set Fire to the Rain“, ‘Helloand “Titanium’. When it comes to Sia, I will never get over “Cheap Thrills“. I remember humming to the song while passing through the school corridors, assuming myself to ‘look cool’ haha.

Over the years, the Indian music scene has undergone significant changes. Now, there is a greater inclusion of Western music and movie references. We have Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (2023) creating a wave of euphoria among Indian Swifties (people who are fans of Taylor Swift and popularly referred to by this term). We recently saw Ed Sheeran’s concert in Mumbai garnering a massive crowd, indicating the love and adoration of Indian music listeners towards him. Slowly and steadily, I’m also growing my taste in Western music. More than anything, I feel proud to have witnessed the shifting music trends in our generation. For example, if the current love anthem is “Lover,” then I’ve also experienced the phase where Christina Perri’s “A Thousand Years” was the jam. While I now see people dancing to “Gasolina“, I have seen the times when people were crazy about “Despacito“.

My knowledge of Western music is a work in progress but I’m happy that whatever I have heard till now has always warmed my heart and expanded my taste in music. I will always be an ardent Bollywood fan, but when it comes to Western music, it has been a breath of fresh air. They always take me down the lane of nostalgia!

Ritika Das

Delhi North '24

Ritika Das is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Content Writing team for it's website. While she has explored different genres of topics but the most comfortable ones have always been entertainment, books and sports. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She was the ex-sub editor of the English Editorial society of her college. She has also successfully published various articles in many regional and national newspapers and also in some of college magazines across du circuit. Her love for films and literary works justify the fact that she has done a two years minor course on Multimedia and Mass communication. In her leisure time, Ritika loves to get hold of the latest web series/films and also has an affiliation towards art and craft. She considers herself as one of the biggest cricket fan and and a true lover of Hindi old songs.