Career

Guiding Lights: Exploring the Impact Of Role Models On Personal Growth and Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

In the journey of life, we often find ourselves inspired and influenced by individuals who serve as beacons of hope, motivation, and success. These individuals, commonly known as role models, play a significant role in shaping our aspirations, values, and character. However, in the age of individualism and self-discovery, a question arises: do we need role models?

Role models are individuals who exemplify qualities, achievements, or attributes that we admire or aspire to emulate. They can be found in various domains, from celebrities and athletes to teachers and community leaders. I believe that role models serve as guiding stars, showing us what is possible and helping us set goals. They can be instrumental in personal growth, but the necessity of role models depends on various factors.

Speaking from personal experience, they provide several valuable benefits to individuals, particularly in their formative years. Firstly, they offer inspiration and motivation. When we see someone who has overcome adversity or achieved great success, it instills a belief that we can do the same. Role models provide tangible evidence that dreams can be realized through hard work and determination. For me, Bhavani Devi is one such role model. She became the first Indian fencer to qualify for the Olympics and showed a lot of young fencers like me that it is indeed possible. 

Secondly, role models help us develop a sense of identity and purpose. They can guide us in understanding our interests, values, and passions. By observing role models, we can identify qualities and attributes we admire and incorporate them into our own lives. This process aids in self-discovery and personal growth.

Furthermore, role models can serve as mentors, albeit from a distance. Even if we don’t have direct access to our role models, their experiences and advice, often shared through books, interviews, or social media, can offer guidance and wisdom. This guidance can be especially valuable during challenging times, offering solutions and perspectives we might not have considered otherwise.

Despite these pros, some argue that the need for role models has diminished in today’s society. The rise of individualism and the emphasis on personal exploration have led many to believe that relying on role models is unnecessary. They argue that individuals should be self-reliant and chart their course without external influences.

While self-reliance is indeed important, dismissing the function of role models entirely may be shortsighted. Role models can provide valuable reference points in a world where the possibilities seem endless. They help us navigate the vast sea of choices by offering examples of what has worked for others. In this sense, they act as a compass, not a map, guiding us in the right direction while allowing room for individual creativity and adaptation.

Moreover, they can help us avoid common pitfalls and mistakes. Learning from the experiences of others can save us time, effort, and heartache. By studying the successes and failures of role models, we can make more informed decisions in our own lives.

In a world that often glamorizes superficial achievements and instant gratification, having role models who emphasize values like resilience, hard work, and perseverance is invaluable. They remind us that true success is a product of dedication and long-term commitment, countering the allure of quick fixes and shortcuts.

The question of whether we need role models is nuanced. While some individuals may thrive without explicit role models, many of us benefit from the guidance and wisdom that they provide. They seem to offer a sense of purpose, motivation, and the opportunity to learn from the experiences of others. In a society that values individualism, role models can serve as guiding lights, helping us make informed decisions and shape our character. The key is to strike a balance between self-discovery and the wisdom shared by these role models, recognizing that they are not a strict roadmap but rather guiding stars on our unique life journeys.

Geshna Khattar

Delhi North '26

Geshna Khattar is a dynamic individual with a rich tapestry of talents and interests. She is an integral part of the editorial team at Her Campus for DU North Campus, where she contributes her creativity and insight to a wide range of content. Beyond her campus commitments, Geshna holds the esteemed position of Joint Secretary of the Placement Cell at Daulat Ram College. In this role, she plays a pivotal part in bridging the gap between students and prospective career opportunities, a testament to her dedication to the academic community. She is not only an academic achiever but also an accomplished sportsperson. She has clinched numerous state and national medals in fencing, showcasing her exceptional prowess and dedication in the sporting arena. Currently pursuing a B.A. (Hons) in Psychology at Delhi University, she exemplifies a commitment to both her education and athletic pursuits. However, Geshna's talents extend well beyond academics and sports. She is a devoted dog lover, cherishing moments with her loyal companion. Additionally, she has a deep passion for music, which serves as a source of inspiration and relaxation in her life. Moreover, Geshna is a gifted poet and artist. Through the medium of poetry and visual art, she channels her creativity and emotions. She is a multifaceted individual whose dedication to academics, sports, art, music, and her furry friend reflect a well-rounded and inspiring persona.