Life > Experiences

DEAR GIRLS, READ THIS IF YOU ATTENDED A CO-ED SCHOOL BUT ARE ENTERING AN ALL-GIRLS COLLEGE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Dear freshers,

Congratulations on finally making it to the next stage of your life! Well, yes, university life feels exciting, but sometimes it does seem daunting because of the multiple transitions one encounters. And for an undergraduate female student at Delhi University, one of the potential shifts is from a co-ed school to an all-girls college.

I studied in a co-ed school all my life, and the bonding and friendships I made were heartfelt. When I got into an all-girls college, it was overwhelming and exciting, but down the line, I experienced a bit of uncertainty and bafflement about adjusting to the new environment of an all-girls college.

Initially, being surrounded by girls 24*7  felt weird, but eventually, I realized how safe and secure I felt. In a co-ed environment, you ought to be alert and conscious of how you sit, dress up or walk, but in an all-girls college, the apprehension or hesitation about what to wear and behave the way you want to becomes less. Another wonderful thing about studying in an all-girls college is that nobody is directed with unsolicited glares or comments, unlike in a co-ed setting of educational institutions.

But hey, this write-up isn’t directed towards declaring that an all-girls college is better than co-ed institutions, because truth be told, it is difficult to make an absolute comparison between them. Co-ed colleges have their perks; they help you coexist with other genders, give you some of your most genuine guy best friends, and yes, for the simplest reason, it gives you the male attention that you occasionally crave.

So, my dear female freshers, my final word to all of you who are yet to step into or have already stepped into an all-girls college from a co-ed setting would be: do not worry about adjusting or fitting in. If your school gave you the friendships you will forever cherish, then your future girl-friends will not only be your friends but also your mother, sister and your partners in crime!

Love,
A senior who awaits you to experience this fun ride called college

Ritika Das

Delhi North '24

Ritika Das is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Content Writing team for it's website. While she has explored different genres of topics but the most comfortable ones have always been entertainment, books and sports. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She was the ex-sub editor of the English Editorial society of her college. She has also successfully published various articles in many regional and national newspapers and also in some of college magazines across du circuit. Her love for films and literary works justify the fact that she has done a two years minor course on Multimedia and Mass communication. In her leisure time, Ritika loves to get hold of the latest web series/films and also has an affiliation towards art and craft. She considers herself as one of the biggest cricket fan and and a true lover of Hindi old songs.