Confessions Of A Political Science Junkie: The Good, the Bad & the Transformative

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

“We are political science students, and we debate about everything.”- Sorry to break this myth, but it’s the opposite: we understand different viewpoints and come to a rational argument. Nevertheless, political science is an intricate web of power struggles, ideological clashes, and endless debates. For others, it’s a dry and dusty academic pursuit, filled with jargon and obscure theories. But for others, like myself, it’s an intoxicating blend of intrigue, analysis, and the potential to change the world.

Would it be wrong if I confessed to being a political science junkie? Yes, I accept my addiction to knowing about this intricate web of politics and power struggles. To be a political science student is to have your own set of highs and lows to get through the mind-blowing maze. The deeper you delve, the more passionate you become. One can understand complex systems, predict human behavior, and unravel the motivations behind seemingly random events. It’s like a detective story but with the fate of nations hanging in the balance. Another crucial aspect of getting to know more is that you get a critical lens on the world, like questioning your status quo and the forces that dictate our social and political choices. This knowledge empowers you to engage in meaningful conversations, advocate for changes, and challenge assumptions.

Another major aspect would be the global lens that this subject offers. From the origin of global wars to the ever-comprehensive regional conflicts happening in different regions of the world. This not only keeps you informed but also broadens your perspective, fosters empathy, and reminds you that you’re part of something much bigger than yourself. Hence, politics transcends borders. 

Every field of study has its downsides, and political science is no exception. When you delve deep into politics, you get exposed to the ugly truths – the corruption, the misuse of power, and the unfair systems that exist in many parts of the world. It’s a lot to take in, kind of like an addiction (hence, a junkie!). The weight of these revelations can be disheartening, challenging one’s faith in the potential for positive political change. The gap between understanding and action can be vast, leading to frustration and disillusionment.

What one cannot control is how voracious the information pool on this subject is. It includes the past, present, and future predictions. The constant news cycle, political punditry, and social media echo chambers can be overwhelming. It’s easy to get sucked into a vortex of negativity and cynicism, especially when faced with seemingly insurmountable challenges. The discipline’s penchant for jargon and complex theories can also be a barrier, creating an exclusive club accessible only to those fluent in its specialized language. This linguistic elitism can alienate individuals outside the field, hindering the broader dissemination of critical political insights. Bridging this gap between academia and the general public remains an ongoing challenge for political science enthusiasts.

Political science isn’t just about dissecting power struggles; it’s a launchpad for action. Armed with its insights, you’re not just an observer; you’re a potential game-changer. Craving social justice? Political science equips you to fight for it, not just feel for it. A human rights champion in the making? This field gives you the tools to defend them, not just mourn their violation. Dreaming of political reform? Here’s your toolkit to dismantle outdated systems and build a better future.

Passion, not paralysis, is the true power of political science. Don’t get bogged down by negativity. Channel that fires into action. Your informed voice and your focused efforts can spark a ripple effect of positive change. So, step out of the echo chamber, engage with diverse perspectives, and let your political science fuel ignite a brighter world!

We confess and revel in the thrill of the chase, dissecting intricate systems and unraveling the machinations of power. But we also grapple with information overload and the frustration of inaction. Yet, within these highs and lows lies the transformative magic of our addiction. Political science isn’t just intellectual gymnastics; it’s a weapon for good. So let’s channel our inner political scientist. Together, we can transform this “confession” into a collective mission: creating a society where justice and equity reign supreme.

Anoushka Purohit

Delhi North '25

Anoushka Purohit is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Editorial team. Her writing interests range from politics, society, to talking about individuality and asking questions about life in general. Beyond Her Campus, she is a second year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She contributed as editor and interviewer for an online community page called Humans of Bhubaneswar and also worked as the head of social media for a climate awareness organisation called Fridays For Future, Odisha. Her reading interests can be identified by the number of classics she hoards as well the unique literature which finds space in her bookshelf. Her leisure time is purely dedicated to reading, dancing and attending music concerts. Apart from that, she considers herself to be a die hard rock fan and a metalhead.