Life > Experiences

The Concluding Chapter: Musings Of Senior Year Students @ DU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

It feels like yesterday when the Batch of 2024 embarked on its undergraduate journey and now, we are already in our final (third) year. Time has a way of slipping through our fingers when we least expect it. After months of contemplation about what it means to live the ‘life’ of a final-year student, we find ourselves towards the end of it. There’s so much that comes with being a third year in comparison to what we envisioned. You might have meticulously planned out the final year, but once you’re living it, there’s an undeniable sense of unpreparedness that washes you over.

The most dreadful of all is the anticipation about the future as the crucial question tumbles upon- what next? This combines with the thought of gradually edging towards a life that might be uncertain and stressful, especially when one realizes that life after university can drastically change, and people can leave. We constantly feel confused like a pendulum motioning to and fro. It’s understandable, yet frightful. It feels as if we’re freshmen again, nervous to start our journey and unaware of what’s in store for us. Some might like the idea of finally moving into the real world and being independent, while others might still not be ready to hop into the responsibilities associated with the newfound independence. No matter how you relate to these ideas, they closely speak to our souls, the souls of the final years.

For many of us, the time spent in college makes us feel comfortable as it becomes a part of our routine. We feel attached to our alma mater and the peers we meet. This sentiment holds especially true for those staying in hostels or paying guests (PGs). It’s a painful heartbreak to part ways with your dormmates and embark on a new ride. This is also the time when a lot of the day scholars finally decide to leave their comfort city and migrate to a new place for professional purposes such as jobs or higher studies. Hence, senior year holds imperative value not just professionally but emotionally as well.

Further, one of the toughest dilemmas is whether to engage in all possible activities for one last time, making each day worthwhile, or take a day as it comes and enjoy the serenity in the moments. There’s so much that remains to be explored. Be it from participating in events, having desi street food, or simply getting on an adventure to experience everything that we didn’t try in the past two years!

Thus, our piece speaks on behalf of all those final years, unprepared to bid adieu to their undergraduate life (so are we!). Hence, what better than to know it from them? We went around the colleges of North Campus at the University of Delhi to get an insight into this. Here’s what the third years had to say:

When asked how they would describe their last two years, Twaranwita Medhi from Indraprastha College for Women (IPCW) told Her Campus that it was a ‘rollercoaster ride’ (all her friends present during the interview agreed to the sentiment immediately). While Namrata Kalita added that she found her sense of freedom and learned to live on her terms. Himakshi Devi from IP expressed that these past two years made her face several ups and downs. However, living with new people and moving to an unfamiliar city has been an incredible learning experience for her.

Further, we also asked them about the aspects of college they would miss after graduating. Vaishnavi from IPCW had a warm response to this. “If there’s one thing that I can guarantee will tug at my heartstrings the most, it is the cherished moments spent sitting on the college lawns with my three special friends. Those conversations filled with laughter, the cathartic rants, and the recording of those precious memories will forever hold a special place in my heart. The sparkle in our eyes and the carefree charm that comes with being a ‘DU girl’ made these exchanges even more magical. Every shared moment will be a treasure that I’ll hold dear to.”

If there’s one thing that I can guarantee will tug at my heartstrings the most, it is the cherished moments spent sitting on the college lawns with my three special friends. Those conversations filled with laughter, the cathartic rants, and the recording of those precious memories will forever hold a special place in my heart. The sparkle in our eyes and the carefree charm that comes with being a ‘DU girl’ made these exchanges even more magical. Every shared moment will be a treasure that I’ll hold dear to

Manorma Pandita from Khalsa College expressed that she would miss the little things in her college such as the affordable food at the canteen, the air conditioning (who does not love it in Delhi’s scorching heat!), and of course, the heartfelt conversations with her professors.

Apart from this, we interviewed the students by asking if there was anything they had planned for their remaining semesters and how they intended to cherish it. Shreya Mann from IPCW stated that she took significant inspiration from her seniors and hence, she would love to be a helpful senior for the juniors. In agreement with this, her friend Medhya Gupta emphasized that seniors should act as guiding lights for their juniors, whenever need be.

An interview is not complete without asking a final year what their plans for the future are, something that most of us often ponder upon. To this, Vaishnavi replied that she plans to engage in further studies from one of the esteemed institutions of the country, preferably a master’s degree in English from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) or a Masters in Graphic Design from National Institute of Design (NID). If she ends up taking a gap year, she plans to utilize it by gaining work experience and enhancing her skills. Himakshi conveyed that although she has no concrete plans, she wishes to continue in the academic line.

Lastly, if you ask us, ‘How does being a senior feel like? Well, it can’t be comprehended in a word. However, in brief, it feels like having gained a lot but not enough. It’s a sobering thought that we are in place of those seniors whom we looked up to during our junior years. This is hard to accept, considering they have been someone that we could go to in times of crisis such as nagging during endsems to help cope with the stress (I’m sure most of us have been there). Both of us had seniors that we could rely on at any time of the day, and their advice always did wonders.

We agree that in the final year, the realization of our aspirations can often be nerve-wracking and overwhelming. It may be common for us to spend our last few months preparing for interviews, jobs, or applications. In a tight and exhausting schedule, finding time for leisure or even appreciating our final days might seem harder.

Thus, this article serves as a poignant reminder that the moments we’re experiencing now are fleeting, never to return, and embracing the joy of the present is paramount. Transitioning into adulthood is an unavoidable journey, firmly grounding us in the realm of responsibilities and uncertainties. Yet, amidst the relentless pace of life, with deadlines looming and the future beckoning, it’s crucial to remember that we grow up bearing cherished memories of the people and places that have enriched our existence. These memories are the very essence that makes life profoundly meaningful.

Ritika Das

Delhi North '24

Ritika Das is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Content Writing team for it's website. While she has explored different genres of topics but the most comfortable ones have always been entertainment, books and sports. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She was the ex-sub editor of the English Editorial society of her college. She has also successfully published various articles in many regional and national newspapers and also in some of college magazines across du circuit. Her love for films and literary works justify the fact that she has done a two years minor course on Multimedia and Mass communication. In her leisure time, Ritika loves to get hold of the latest web series/films and also has an affiliation towards art and craft. She considers herself as one of the biggest cricket fan and and a true lover of Hindi old songs.
Riya Jindal

Delhi North '24

Riya Jindal is a Senior Associate Editor at Her Campus, Delhi North and currently an undergraduate at Indraprastha College for Women. She partakes in editing pieces that cover a wide range of topics, writing and approving pitches. She has actively participated in editorial work and volunteering as the team head and General Secretary of the Women’s Development cell, IPCW and NSS. As an individual she's passionate about music, creative arts, media and film.