Campus Life 101: Delhi University and the North East Societies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

For most students of the University of Delhi or DU, one of the most daunting tasks upon entering college is getting into college societies. College societies play a vital role in a student’s life. Many of these societies select their participants through written submissions and personal interviews. While every college has its own type of societies, there is one that is common to almost all DU colleges, and that is the North East (NE) Society, Cell or Collective.

The North East society is a platform where students hailing from the seven states of the Northeastern region of India and Sikkim are welcomed with open arms without being subjected to induction interviews and tests. The early 21st century saw the concept of NE Society developing, with Indraprastha College for Women (IPCW) being the first college under the University of Delhi to have a North-East Society. This started a culture of having a society fully dedicated to the needs and upliftment of the students who hail from the North East. 

Many may wonder, despite NE being a diverse region, why is there a special preference given to the region as a society, cell or collective? While there’s no clear account of any NE society explicitly describing the reason for its establishment, what I, a Delhi University student, hailing from the North East, can understand is that all these societies have the aim of providing an inclusive space for the Northeasterns and of promoting and showcasing their rich heritage and fascinating indigenous culture.

Secondly, these societies also provide a safe and close-knit community for all the Northeastern students who are frequently subjected to subtle forms of discrimination because of their physical appearance, language, or distinct cultural traits.

Over the years, the North East societies across all DU colleges have organized various fests, conferences, and other programs that have made them relevant among students and colleges and created awareness about the overwhelming presence of North East students. These include the North East fest organized by the North East society of the Hindu College. Colleges like Jesus and Mary College and Hansraj College also have their own dedicated magazines, named Laizom and Satung, respectively. 

As a result, the North East societies do not exist merely by name. It assists Northeasterns with the rigorous admission processes and guides them in developing their personalities away from their hometown comfort. It also becomes a medium through which all the other students, who belong to other states, learn more about the culture of the North East, inclusive of diverse languages and traditions, and helps them broaden their mindset about the region. Furthermore, it serves as a great stimulant for dispelling preconceived notions about NE.

Ritika Das

Delhi North '24

Ritika Das is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Content Writing team for it's website. While she has explored different genres of topics but the most comfortable ones have always been entertainment, books and sports. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She was the ex-sub editor of the English Editorial society of her college. She has also successfully published various articles in many regional and national newspapers and also in some of college magazines across du circuit. Her love for films and literary works justify the fact that she has done a two years minor course on Multimedia and Mass communication. In her leisure time, Ritika loves to get hold of the latest web series/films and also has an affiliation towards art and craft. She considers herself as one of the biggest cricket fan and and a true lover of Hindi old songs.