Breaking Down the Not-So-Vibrant Part of HOLI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Holi is a festival filled with colours and excitement. It is symbolic of the positivity and success being brought into our lives through the rain of colour. Every colour represents something meaningful and prosperous. However, just like every coin has two sides, ironically, there is a dark side to these colours as well.  The festival has appalling effects on the environment. What might be considered as joy for many becomes a threat to nature and animals. One of the biggest ceremonies of Holi is Holika Dahan, which is characterised by a flaming bonfire. It symbolises the burning of evil and the victory of truth.

However, there are several negative consequences of this festival. The air quality due to this religious ceremony deteriorates. Carbon Monoxide and Carbon Dioxide are released during Holika Dahan. Other than air pollution, the biggest harm to the environment is through water shortage. Excessive use of water during the celebration of Holi results in acute water shortages in rural areas. Moreover, the plastic balloons and bags clog the drainage system. These plastic residuals are non-bio-degradable, and they cause severe soil pollution as well. The roads and public places are harmed and destroyed due to colours and pichkaris. In addition to all this, noise pollution is a by-product of Holi, as people burst music on loudspeakers and instruments. The commercialisation of the festival has several harmful effects on humans as well. In earlier times, holi used to be played with organic colours and natural rose petals and flowers. Now, many companies have started manufacturing chemically induced dyes that can be harmful to the skin. There have been several reports of skin diseases after Holi celebrations.

The stray animals are, again, often subjected to injuries because of the water balloons, pichkaris, and the harmful colors that cause many skin allergies and health issues to them. They are especially vulnerable because they can intake these chemicals by licking their paws and body.

Balancing celebrations is vital in every religion and so a greater push towards an ethical Holi will preserve the essence of the festival and ensure that it brings prosperity and colour in everyone’s life.

Tanvi Bhanot

Delhi North

I am extremely passionate about writing articles and poetry.