Against the Odds: ’12th Fail’ Chronicles A Remarkable Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

12th Fail, directed by Vidhu Vinod Chopra, is not just a film; it’s an experience. More than just a biopic, it’s a poignant exploration of resilience, second chances, and the power of the human spirit. Based on the inspiring true story of IPS officer Manoj Kumar Sharma, the film delves into themes of social inequality, educational anxieties, and the unwavering pursuit of dreams amidst insurmountable odds.

Vikrant Massey delivers a phenomenal performance as Manoj, a man burdened by the social stigma of failing his 12th-grade exams. We see him navigate life on the fringes, juggling odd jobs, and grappling with societal scorn. His chance encounter with Prakash Singh (Anant Vijay Joshi), a retired police officer, becomes the turning point. Prakash recognizes Manoj’s potential and becomes his mentor, igniting a spark of hope within him.

Chopra’s masterful storytelling unfolds with quiet intensity. The narrative progresses seamlessly, capturing the essence of Manoj’s struggles and triumphs. The film doesn’t shy away from portraying the harsh realities of social and economic disparities. We witness Manoj’s family burdened by debt, his mother’s unwavering support, and the constant societal pressure to conform. These elements seamlessly intertwine with his academic journey, highlighting the immense challenges faced by individuals from underprivileged backgrounds. The film celebrates the unconventional path to success. Instead of glorifying rote learning and competitive exams, it emphasizes the importance of personal growth, self-belief, and finding unique pathways to achieve one’s goals. Manoj’s unconventional study methods, his determination to learn beyond textbooks, and his unwavering perseverance resonate deeply. While the film acknowledges the importance of exams, it subtly questions the societal obsession with them as the sole measure of success.

One of the film’s strengths lies in its supporting cast. Geeta Agarwal Sharma as Pushpa Sharma, Manoj’s mother, delivers a heartbreaking performance, portraying the unwavering support and sacrifices of a mother who believes in her son’s dreams. Anshuman Pushkar, as Gouri Bhaiyya, the unorthodox but dedicated tutor, adds a refreshing touch with his unique teaching methods and unwavering confidence in Manoj. Even the role of Medha Shankar, as Shraddha Joshi had a great impact on Manoj’s life as backbone who supported him although out his journey. Together, they create a powerful support system that propels Manoj forward. However, the film isn’t without its flaws. The use of constant voice-over narration, while initially engaging, can sometimes feel repetitive and over expository.

Despite these minor shortcomings, 12th Fail remains a powerful and inspiring film. It leaves a lasting impact, reminding us that success is not defined by academic achievements alone. It’s a story about courage, determination, and an unwavering belief in oneself, regardless of what society dictates. The film serves as a beacon of hope, particularly for those struggling with educational anxieties or facing societal pressures. It encourages viewers to break free from conventional expectations and forge their own unique paths to success. The movie is an inspiring reminder that failure is just a steppingstone, not a dead end. Manoj’s relentless pursuit, despite societal pressures and self-doubt, shows that dreams can be achieved with perseverance. The movie encourages us to view failures as lessons, not limitations, and to keep striving for our goals no matter how many times we fall.

12th Fail is more than just a biopic; it’s a powerful call to action. It challenges societal norms, celebrates unconventional journeys, and reignites belief in second chances. With its impactful performances, poignant storytelling, and meaningful message, this film is a must-watch for anyone seeking inspiration and a reminder that sometimes, the greatest success stories come from those who dare to defy the odds.This emotionally gripping and award-winning film left me in tears by its conclusion, and I highly recommend that everyone take the time to experience it at least once in their leisure..

Paridhi Madhukallya

Delhi North '26

Paridhi Madhukallya is a student at IPCW majoring in Political Science Honours. She is actively involved in various NGOs and organizations. Apart from her academic pursuits, she has a passion for singing and enjoys listening to music in her free time.Paridhi enjoys experimenting in the kitchen, showcasing her culinary talents. As a dedicated K-drama enthusiast, she finds joy in exploring the captivating world of Korean dramas. Additionally, her playlist is filled with the energetic beats of K-pop, reflecting her eclectic taste in music. Paridhi's life is a delightful blend of flavor, music and the enchanting entertainment of Korean culture.