10 ways to make difficult decisions when you’re feeling trapped

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Whether you are considering your college major, choosing between higher education and a job, or deciding whether or not to start your own business, making major life decisions can be overwhelming. When this next big step takes up all of your focus, you may believe that there is no use in thinking about your “larger life.” You may think that this one big decision will either make or break you and put your entire life at stake.

But 99.9% of the time, that’s not the case. Your life does not depend on a single decision and even though it may feel like it, the world won’t end if you make a wrong one. Making decisions is simple as long as you train yourself right. Say this to yourself every time you feel stuck: There’s no reason to be stuck; life is just passing you by. 

Get ready to take control of your life and make better choices. It’s bye-bye to overwhelming days and stagnation and hello to a “bigger life”! 

The following list is curated to assist you in making those difficult ‘life’ decisions. These are the tactics that work for everyone who is caught in a rut.

You don’t have to make the best decision possible

I read somewhere that making a decent decision on time is more important than relentlessly looking for the perfect option. Remember that your first decision will lead you down new paths, allowing you to make further new decisions. I too have been squandering my time on ostensibly poor decisions. But believe me, being on the ‘wrong’ path teaches you a lot and reinforces your belief in yourself. Even if it’s a step backward, it’s better than taking no step at all!

Relieve the pressure

We naturally undergo a lot of pressure whenever a single perfect decision has to be taken. A career choice is understandably one of those ostensibly ‘important’ decisions you’d prefer to get right from the very start. It isn’t always doable though. Accept that you may need to change your direction (which is completely fine). You should learn to relax and enjoy the process once you’ve become accustomed to making a large number of minor judgments on a regular basis. It’s not about being sloppy; it’s about taking care of oneself and making an emotional room for learning.

Accept the fullness of your journey

You’ve arrived at this fork in the road for a reason. It’s easy to look back, dwell on past blunders, and assume that had you done things differently, you would have been in a better place. However, in reality, you are exactly where you should be in whatever scenario you are right now. Try to realize how all of your experiences (both good and bad) might help you in the future. Many have overcome the difficulties or adversities of life and so will you either sooner or later.

Make decisions based on opportunity rather than fear

We have all heard the phrase “What’s the worst that can happen?” It personally bothers me because it is motivated by fear rather than an opportunity. Why not consider the best-case situation instead like “What is the absolute best thing that could happen to you?”

List out your values

Spend an hour thinking about your principles and how you want to conduct your life. It’s tough to make important decisions regarding our future unless we have a clear picture of where we’re going and where we wish to reach.

Have faith in your instincts

Women are increasingly seeking a life with greater purpose (= following their hearts). It’s sometimes tough to discern whether your fear of taking risks (stepping outside your comfort zone) or your intuition is telling you that this isn’t the right path for you. So, it is important that you recognise your instincts and take a leap of faith.

Draw on your previous experiences

What has previously worked for you? Try to recollect a time when you were in a good mood and everything was going smoothly. What skills did you employ? What was the atmosphere like? What kind of people did you have to work with? What part did you play? It’s critical to recognize the settings and environments in which we are the happiest and perform at our best.

Create a favourable environment

You’re unlikely to make any decisions, good or bad when you’re scurrying around like a headless chicken. It’s easy to get caught up in survival mode, putting everything else on the back burner. As life appears to be passing you by, this will just add to your frustration. Make an effort to make time for reflection and journaling. Visit a café or take a stroll in the park. Life working groups are another great resource that provide a safe environment to reflect and contemplate. Check them out for it’s always better late than never.

Take some time to meditate

Your body and spirit already know what you desire but your mind is too preoccupied with other things to even hear your inner voice. Stop using your brain (too much) if you want to follow your emotions! Meditation helps you disconnect from the daily grind by cutting out the stories your mind tells you. Make some room not only in your physical environment but also in your mind and spirit.

Don’t take advice from others (meaning don’t FOLLOW their advice blindly)

I feel sometimes we rely too much on individuals around us to guide us through life when the best teacher is already within us. Family and friends are mostly biased, and while they most likely want the best for you, they might not comprehend what is going on or why you need to make new decisions. It’s fine to converse with others and think about what they preach but do not ever blindly follow their opinion. Try to discover people who share your viewpoints, relate with you and share their experiences in an open and vulnerable way, without passing any judgement.

The key to decision making is simply to keep things simple — pick two-three options, ignore the rest, and trust your instincts. Let the rest of the world dither — you’ve made your decision, so be content with it, be happy with it. There will always be people who will regard you as a fathead for your decisions. The point is, if you’re content with them, then why should you care at all about anything else? 

Kritika Tomar

Delhi North '23

Kritika is a student of Hansraj College, University of Delhi. She's a sucker for pizzas and rom-coms. She loves cotton candy skies, acoustic music and cats.