Canva

The History and Evolution of the Feminist Movement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North East chapter.

The feminist movement is a social and political movement aimed at achieving gender equality, women’s rights, and ending sexism and discrimination against women. It has a long and complex history that spans across centuries, countries, and cultures.

The roots of the feminist movement can be traced back to the 18th century Enlightenment period, which emphasized reason, individualism, and liberty. Women began to question the traditional roles and expectations imposed on them by society, and demanded equal access to education, employment, and political representation. In the 19th century, women’s suffrage became a central issue for feminists, with suffragettes staging protests, marches, and hunger strikes to demand the right to vote.

The first wave of feminism, which occurred in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, focused primarily on securing legal rights for women, such as the right to vote, own property, and access higher education. Feminist leaders such as Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Alice Paul played instrumental roles in the suffrage movement, and their efforts culminated in the passage of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution in 1920, which granted women the right to vote.

The second wave of feminism emerged in the 1960s and 1970s, and was characterized by a more radical and diverse approach. Women of color, lesbians, and working-class women began to challenge the narrow focus of the first wave, which largely catered to middle-class, white, and straight women. Second-wave feminists advocated for reproductive rights, workplace equality, and an end to gender-based violence and harassment. They also critiqued the patriarchal nature of society, and sought to dismantle traditional gender roles and stereotypes.

The third wave of feminism emerged in the 1990s, and was marked by an even greater emphasis on diversity and intersectionality. Third-wave feminists acknowledged that gender discrimination intersected with other forms of oppression, such as racism, homophobia, ableism, and classism. They also embraced new technologies and media platforms, and used them to spread feminist messages and connect with other activists around the world.

Today, the feminist movement continues to evolve and adapt to changing social, cultural, and political contexts. Feminists are still fighting for reproductive justice, equal pay, and an end to gender-based violence and discrimination. They are also grappling with new challenges such as online harassment, reproductive technologies, and the impact of globalization on women’s rights.

The feminist movement has come a long way since its inception, and has achieved many important victories. However, there is still much work to be done to achieve gender equality and justice for all women, regardless of their race, class, sexuality, or ability. Feminists will continue to push for social and political change, and to challenge the status quo until true equality is achieved.

Leena Joshi

Delhi North East '24

Leena Joshi is a social entrepreneur, climate advocate and author. She is the founder and executive director of Ethereal, a youth-led climate nonprofit, with 9000 volunteers in 60+ countries. She has sat on boards and advisory councils for various organizations. She has been a member at Harvard Business Review Ascend Select and has provided insights to editorial, marketing and product teams of HBR and has contributed to research projects by HBR. Leena's work has been featured by World Bank Group, United Nations Climate Change, United Nations Foundation, Climate Reality Project, Her Campus Media, Feminist and Lady Gaga's Born This Way Foundation. She was previously a Member at Global Leadership Challenge at Oxford University. She has been an Ambassador for organizations including World Bank Group, Greenpeace USA, 4ocean and Plastic Pollution Coalition. Leena is a prolific public speaker who has spoken at universities across the world including Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge. She has authored books including 'The Climate Awakening' and 'Ethereal' and writes poetry about social impact.