Keeping Your Campus Green and Eco-Friendly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North East chapter.

In today’s world, sustainability has become a pressing concern, and campuses are not exempt from this responsibility. As hubs of learning and innovation, colleges and universities have a unique opportunity to lead by example and foster a culture of environmental stewardship among students, faculty, and staff. From energy conservation and waste reduction to green transportation and eco-friendly initiatives, keeping your campus green is a collective effort that requires commitment, creativity, and collaboration.

1. Renewable Energy

One of the most impactful ways to reduce your campus’s carbon footprint is by transitioning to renewable energy sources. Explore options such as solar, wind, or geothermal energy to power campus buildings and facilities. Investing in renewable energy not only reduces greenhouse gas emissions but also promotes energy independence and resilience in the face of climate change.

2. Promote Energy Conservation

Encourage energy conservation practices among students, faculty, and staff by implementing energy-efficient measures throughout the campus. This can include installing LED lighting, upgrading HVAC systems, and using programmable thermostats to optimize energy usage. Additionally, educate the campus community about the importance of turning off lights, unplugging electronics, and using energy-efficient appliances to reduce energy waste.

3. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Implement comprehensive waste reduction and recycling programs to minimize the amount of waste generated on campus. Provide easily accessible recycling bins and composting facilities in high-traffic areas, dining halls, and residence halls. Educate students and staff about proper waste sorting and disposal practices to maximize recycling efforts and minimize landfill waste.

4. Promote Sustainable Transportation

Encourage sustainable transportation options such as walking, biking, carpooling, and public transit to reduce carbon emissions and alleviate traffic congestion on campus. Invest in bike racks, bike-sharing programs, and designated walking paths to make active transportation more accessible and convenient for the campus community. Additionally, provide incentives such as discounted transit passes or preferential parking for carpoolers to incentivize sustainable commuting habits.

5. Support Local and Organic Food

Create a sustainable food culture on campus by sourcing local, organic, and ethically produced food for dining facilities and campus events. Partner with local farmers, growers, and food suppliers to prioritize seasonal and regionally sourced ingredients that support local economies and reduce the carbon footprint of food transportation. Additionally, implement initiatives such as plant-based dining options to promote sustainable and healthy eating habits among students and staff.

6. Green Building Practices

Incorporate sustainable design principles into new construction and renovation projects on campus to minimize environmental impact and maximize energy efficiency. Prioritize LEED certification or other green building standards to ensure that campus buildings meet rigorous sustainability criteria, such as energy and water efficiency, indoor air quality, and materials sourcing. Additionally, consider retrofitting existing buildings with energy-saving technologies and green infrastructure to improve overall sustainability performance.

7. Educate and Empower

Encourage a culture of sustainability on campus by integrating environmental education and sustainability initiatives into academic curricula, extracurricular activities, and campus events. Offer sustainability-focused courses, workshops, and seminars that empower students to become sustainability leaders and changemakers in their communities. Engage students, faculty, and staff in sustainability initiatives through campus sustainability committees, student organizations, and volunteer opportunities that promote environmental awareness and action.

Leena Joshi

Delhi North East '24

Leena Joshi is a social entrepreneur, climate advocate and author. She is the founder and executive director of Ethereal, a youth-led climate nonprofit, with 9000 volunteers in 60+ countries. She has sat on boards and advisory councils for various organizations. She has been a member at Harvard Business Review Ascend Select and has provided insights to editorial, marketing and product teams of HBR and has contributed to research projects by HBR. Leena's work has been featured by World Bank Group, United Nations Climate Change, United Nations Foundation, Climate Reality Project, Her Campus Media, Feminist and Lady Gaga's Born This Way Foundation. She was previously a Member at Global Leadership Challenge at Oxford University. She has been an Ambassador for organizations including World Bank Group, Greenpeace USA, 4ocean and Plastic Pollution Coalition. Leena is a prolific public speaker who has spoken at universities across the world including Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge. She has authored books including 'The Climate Awakening' and 'Ethereal' and writes poetry about social impact.