Consumerism and Sustainable Business Practices

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North East chapter.

Over the past few years, ethical consumerism and sustainable business practices have become increasingly popular. Consumers are becoming more conscious of the impact their purchases have on the environment and society, and they are demanding that businesses take responsibility for their actions. This trend has given rise to a new generation of businesses that are committed to sustainability and ethical practices.

Sustainable business practices refer to the actions taken by companies to reduce their negative impact on the environment and society. This includes reducing waste, using renewable energy sources, and sourcing raw materials responsibly. These practices are becoming more important as people become more aware of the impact that businesses have on the environment.

Ethical consumerism, on the other hand, refers to the idea that consumers should use their purchasing power to support businesses that are committed to ethical and sustainable practices. This means choosing products that are made with environmentally-friendly materials, ethically sourced, and produced by companies that treat their employees fairly.

One of the main drivers of this trend is the growing concern about climate change. People are becoming more aware of the impact that human activities are having on the environment, and they are looking for ways to reduce their own carbon footprint. This has led to a rise in demand for eco-friendly products, and companies are responding by developing products that are made with sustainable materials and are designed to be recyclable.

Another factor that is driving the rise of ethical consumerism is the growing concern about social justice. Consumers are becoming more aware of the impact that their purchases have on the communities where products are produced. They are looking for companies that treat their employees fairly and support their communities.

In response to these trends, many companies are taking steps to become more sustainable and ethical. They are developing products that are made with sustainable materials, reducing waste, and investing in renewable energy sources. They are also taking steps to ensure that their supply chains are transparent and that their products are produced in an ethical manner.

In conclusion, the rise of ethical consumerism and sustainable business practices is a positive trend that is helping to create a more sustainable and just world. Consumers are becoming more aware of the impact that their purchases have on the environment and society, and they are demanding that businesses take responsibility for their actions. Companies that are committed to sustainability and ethical practices are setting themselves apart from their competitors and are positioning themselves for long-term success.

Leena Joshi

Delhi North East '24

Leena Joshi is a social entrepreneur, climate advocate and author. She is the founder and executive director of Ethereal, a youth-led climate nonprofit, with 9000 volunteers in 60+ countries. She has sat on boards and advisory councils for various organizations. She has been a member at Harvard Business Review Ascend Select and has provided insights to editorial, marketing and product teams of HBR and has contributed to research projects by HBR. Leena's work has been featured by World Bank Group, United Nations Climate Change, United Nations Foundation, Climate Reality Project, Her Campus Media, Feminist and Lady Gaga's Born This Way Foundation. She was previously a Member at Global Leadership Challenge at Oxford University. She has been an Ambassador for organizations including World Bank Group, Greenpeace USA, 4ocean and Plastic Pollution Coalition. Leena is a prolific public speaker who has spoken at universities across the world including Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge. She has authored books including 'The Climate Awakening' and 'Ethereal' and writes poetry about social impact.