UDance Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

46. That’s the number of children who are diagnosed with cancer every school day. That is also the reason why I dance and why “U” should “Dance.” If you’re a new student at the University of Delaware, you’ve probably heard of UDance by now OR FTK Tuesdays OR canning OR the B+ (B Positive) Foundation. If you haven’t, you will because it’s March and UDance is ONE WEEK AWAY! The UDance dance marathon is the largest student-run philanthropy at UD, it is a yearlong effort to raise awareness and funds for childhood cancer. If this is your first year participating in UDance as a moraler or dancer, or you plan to stand and dance for twelve hours, here are some tips to keep you pumped throughout the day:

Rest. It is incredibly important to get a good night’s sleep the night prior to UDance. Skip the bars and/or sweaty frat basements or late night Netflix binging on Saturday. Take the night off and stay in with your friends because a hangover is not the way to start a twelve hour dance marathon, you will regret it.

Exercise. If you don’t have a gym routine, start one prior to UDance. This doesn’t mean you have to go to the basement of the Little Bob and start lifting or run ten miles, but start off with some light exercises to prepare your body. It may sound silly, but if your body isn’t accustomed to some type of physical activity for long periods of time or if you’re not a host/server, your body will not be prepared for Sunday. So go check out the Little Bob, Independence or Harrington Fitness Center, or take a stroll through White Clay.

Comfort. It may be a dance marathon, but it’s still a marathon, so dress for the occasion. Dancers and moralers will receive a t-shirt, but if you’re not one, you can still purchase some UDance swag in Trabant or Perkins prior to Sunday (checkout UDance on Facebook to see when and where they’ll be this week). Wear running shorts or cropped leggings, athletic tennis shoes, UDance hat, and your stylish FTK fanny pack. If you don’t have your fanny pack from last year, bring a drawstring bag to put all your essentials in. It’s also important to wear comfortable shoes because you’re going to be on your feet all day, especially for the hourly line dance and of course, rave hour!

Breakfast. You know how they say “breakfast is the most important meal of the day,” well it really is on Sunday. Before you head to the Big Bob, it is crucial that you have a big healthy breakfast because it’s the only “real” meal you’ll eat all day. Go crazy at the dining hall (you’ll most likely have to settle for the continental breakfast, sorry) or take a trip to IHOP or the Waffle House.

Fuel. If you’re a dancer or moraler, you’ll receive meal and drink tickets for the day. These may or may not keep fueled for the entire day, so I suggest bringing your own snacks or use your UD ONEcard to buy some snacks with your points/flex, credit and cash will accepted as well. If you bring snacks, load up on the energy bars, like a Cliff Bar or Luna Bar. Or bring some oranges, they’re great for a quick sugar rush!

Hydrate. Water will be your best friend on Sunday. Bring your reusable water bottle to keep yourself hydrated with water throughout the day. It is incredibly important that you drink LOTS of water to keep your energy up and your body stabilized. There will be a water station where you can fill your water bottles and drinks available for purchase.

Electronics. Get your hands on a portable charger as soon as possible. Even if you start the day off with 100%, it will be at 50% within three hours. Not because you’re taking an insane amount of snapchats, but because the wifi in the Big Bob is awful and the service is even worse. Get a cheap one at Walgreens and tell your friends to get one too, because they’ll probably end up asking to use yours and you’ll have to constantly trade off, depending whoever has the lowest battery percentage. And make sure you charge the portable charger the day before! That way you can have a super long snapchat story filled the adorable heroes and you’re guaranteed to get the best shot during the final hour at the reveal.

For the Kids. Throughout the day you’ll see the heroes with an entourage (students); heroes are kids battling cancer who are paired with a student organization, such as a sports team, a fraternity, or a sorority. If you’re over-emotional like me, when you see Joe McDonough introduce the heroes with their families during Hero Hour, you’ll start tearing up and start sobbing when the families tell their story (bring tissues!). It’s amazing hearing what the heroes and their families are going through/have been through and what a difference UDance has made for them individually.

If this is your first year participating as a dancer or moraler in UDance, you will cherish every moment of this day. If you’re not participating this year, I highly suggest you check it out, even if it’s not for the full twelve hours. Some of my friends who went last year for a little bit ended up pledging to be a moraler or dancer this year. UDance is an amazing experience that I think all UD students should participate in at least once, you will gain so much insight about childhood cancer and The B+ Foundation. Do it for yourself, but most importantly do it For the Kids…For a Smile. For a Life. For a Cure.

I am sophomore Communication Interest Major, but classify myself as a Marketing Major with an Advertising Minor because I'm in the process of switching. Born and raised in Rockville, Maryland, a suburb 25 minutes outside of D.C., so I'm basically from the nation's capital, right? DMV stands for D.C., Maryland, and Virginia, not the Department of Motor Vehicles, that's the MVA. If napping was an Olympic sport, I'd probably have a few gold medals by now. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing with my life, but I have the same initials as Jordan Belfort and Justin Bieber so I've got that going for me. 
Amanda Schuman is a junior at the University of Delaware. She is currently majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media and double minoring in journalism and interactive media. Amanda is passionate about all things communications whether it's social media, public relations, writing or just networking. In her free time she can be found watching sit-coms on Netflix, with a book in hand or eating anything sweet. You can follow her @bluehen_amanda