Kayla Krenitsky: Post-Grad Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Are you freaking out about post-grad life?  Well, you’re not the only one.  Senior year is exciting, but it can also be downright scary.  Internships? Graduation? Career? Moving out? Being an adult is an extremely overwhelming thought while trying to pass your finals and finishing out your classes without completely destroying what’s left of your GPA.  

To get some more insight on what post-grad life is like, I sat down and talked to University of Delaware Alumni Kayla Krenitsky.  Kayla graduated in 2015, with a double major in Wildlife Ecology and Agriculture and Natural Resources.  She describes post-grad life as, “Different, but in a good way.”

Here is her take on some of the issues seniors face before and after graduation:

Her Campus: What were your feelings leading up to graduation?  Were you happy, sad?

Kayla Krenitsky: “Senior year was really exciting because you solidify friendships and you come into the school year as the big dogs on campus.  However, as the year progresses, you don’t even realize how fast it goes by.  As spring semester comes, the reality hits and anxiety steps in.  You want be with your friends and hang out like the other semesters, but you also need to figure out the rest of your life.  You spend your life planning it out, but after college it’s different.  You’re done with school and your life becomes extremely open with no structure.  You can decide to look for a job, travel, or even go to graduate school.   Personally, this stress freaked me out and the stress of the real world put a strain on my relationships because I was scared of losing all my friends.  I could feel the real world was looming over me.  I loved UD so much, I wasn’t excited to go necessarily; I wanted to stay.”

HC: What was the week before graduation like?

KK: “The week before graduation was a time that I made the best memories of my life.  You’re done with classes and finals and you’re just with your best friends for a week.  When it was graduation day and commencement started, that’s when it became real for me.  Up until that point, I was in a bit of a haze.  After graduation was over, it just felt like regular summer vacation, but I knew I wouldn’t be coming back to school next year.  Fortunately, I got a job in Newark and still get to see some of my undergrad friends occasionally.  However, living in Newark after graduating is completely different.”

HC: Would you recommend getting into a serious job right after college?

KK: “If I could go back, I would take some time off to figure out what direction I wanted to go in.  I would have considered going to grad school or even a different work field.  But if you need the money – you gotta do what you gotta do.  I would have loved to take a step back, but I am grateful for the opportunity. It’s important to follow your dreams, but you also need to be realistic.”

HC: What is some advice you can give to students who are graduating soon?

KK: “Don’t freak out; everything will work out.  Have a good attitude and be positive.  Graduating isn’t the end of the world.  The real world can be scary, but you’re walking into a world full of new opportunities. Every good chapter has to come to an end, so a new one can start.  Be excited about making money; be excited about growing up.  It’s intimidating, but you can do it…you can’t live in college forever!”

HC: Well, there you have it.  To all my graduating seniors out there, don’t freak out! Enjoy your last semester, do well in your classes, spend time with those that you love, and look forward towards your wonderful futures.

Amanda Schuman is a junior at the University of Delaware. She is currently majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media and double minoring in journalism and interactive media. Amanda is passionate about all things communications whether it's social media, public relations, writing or just networking. In her free time she can be found watching sit-coms on Netflix, with a book in hand or eating anything sweet. You can follow her @bluehen_amanda