This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Many of us are staying at home with virtual college classes and have been in the same situation for about the past year. It can be difficult to feel stuck in the same routine. Here are some things that I have felt were helpful in changing my at-home routine so I can feel more energized while at the same time staying safe and protecting those around me. These ideas may be best tried out a few at a time, and you can see what sticks.

1. Find what makes you wake up quickly.

If going for a run or a walk is what wakes you up in the morning, make time for it! No matter what energizes you the most, starting your day off on the right foot is important, and it can affect your mood and energy levels throughout the day.

2. Figure out your best time of day.

Maybe you work best in the morning or at night. Perhaps your ideal time to get work done is right after a shower or a filling meal. Be mindful of when you feel the most productive. The great thing about studying at home is that there is more flexibility to make room for the routine that works best for you.

3. Try out new recipes over the weekend.

What I’ve found is that cooking or baking over the weekend is a great stress reliever. One great option is making a bunch of homemade granola or other delicious food that you can munch on throughout the following week. Additionally, if cooking is something that you enjoy in the morning, take advantage of that. Perhaps you can make your lunch before your first class so you have something to look forward to afterwards. You can also pick out different fruits at the beginning of the day or the night before that you can eat throughout the day.

4. During breaks, instead of going on your phone for headlines, listen to a daily podcast.

I find that whenever I head to Twitter or Instagram at the start of the day, I can easily stay on social media for a good hour. One better option is listening to a podcast as you are getting ready for the day or as you are folding laundry during a break. Some daily brief podcasts are the New York Time’s The Daily, NPR’s Up First, and Crooked Media’s What A Day. These will give you the headlines and something to think about as you start your day. Additionally, NPR News Now is an option that is updated hourly and is only five minutes long.

5. Find a song that energizes you to play once during breaks.

Getting up to move, stretch, or even just reorganize is important. I am a fan of frequent breaks when the school work takes a while. I love playing one or two upbeat songs for my breaks. This way, when the music ends, I know to get back to work. It’s also a great energy booster!

6. Step outside whenever possible!

Fresh air can always help better the mood. Find your reason to go outside daily. Maybe you love photography and decide that you’re going to take a few pictures each day to document the transition from winter to spring. Maybe you make the decision to commit to going on a 30 minute jog every morning just around your neighborhood. Consider even attending an online class outside if it does not interfere with your learning and the weather is nice! Whatever your reason, a breath of fresh air is sure to brighten your day.

7. Try out a yoga challenge.

Yoga with Adriene is my top choice for any yoga videos because the instructions are straightforward and she has loads of different choices when it comes to time and pace. The Yoga with Adriene YouTube channel has options varying from Yoga for Stress Relief to Core Power Wake Up. She also has 30 day yoga challenges like BREATH – A 30 Day Yoga Journey which I recommend for keeping yoga in your daily routine. All in all, there are so many different options to choose from, and I recommend yoga as a way to keep exercise in your daily routine even if you are limited to one room.

8. Set aside a day each week that you’re not going to work.

One way to stay motivated during the week is to plan one day or at least several hours that you can take to do something for yourself without worrying about looming deadlines. This time can be for whatever brings you comfort, whether it’s baking cookies or just watching an old favorite movie, it’ll give you something to look forward to during the week when you are working hard. 

9. Take it day by day.

No matter what, the best thing to do is to find ways to make each day feel new and exciting for you — even if you are spending most of your time in the same room. The flexibility of virtual college classes can give us the opportunity to find new ways to change and better our daily and weekly routines.

I hope that you try different things and find new ways to make time spent at home more exciting and rejuvenating!

Sydney Kodama

Delaware '24

Sydney Kodama is a freshman at the University of Delaware. She is majoring in political science. Sydney is passionate about environmentalism and enjoys reading, writing, and cooking in her free time.
Contributor account