This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

I recently have had many experiences with interviewing and talking to people in a professional setting like career fairs. Preparing takes a lot of work, but once I took all the necessary steps I’m now able to feel confident in these situations.

The first step I took was to finalize and polish my resume. I utilized career services and the help of a mentor to review it. I used action verbs and tried to be specific about accomplishments I have and jobs that I have done. Next, I reviewed the resume and became as familiar with it as I could so I could be prepared to reference it in any interview. 

Before I actually meet with the company or organization, I make sure to research it and prepare specific questions that are tailored to them. During the actual interview, I make sure to be enthusiastic and confident in my answers. If I get an unexpected question, I think quickly about how I can best answer it and move on. It’s important to not dwell on something too much even if you think you messed up.

After the interview or meeting, the most important thing I have learned to do is to follow up with the person you spoke to. This works best when you reference a specific talking point you had or something that will make them remember you. Continue to follow up and apply to any internship or job openings they have and you’re sure to have a fighting chance.

Hally La Fronz

Delaware '23

Hally La Fronz is a sophomore from NYC with a COMI major and a minor in journalism. Some of her favorite things to do are writing, going on adventures, and hanging out with friends.
Contributor account