This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

As I finish the first few weeks of my senior year, I find myself looking back and reminiscing on my first few weeks of freshman year. I remember feeling a rush of emotions; everything from excitement to worry. As with any new adventure, I found myself full of so many questions. What will it be like to live with a complete stranger? How do I take notes in a college class? Looking back, I see how silly I was for sweating the small things. Since freshman year, I’ve learned so many valuable lessons that I wish I had learned sooner. So without further adieu, here’s the advice that I would give to my freshman self.

1. College is not what you see in the movies

It’s understandable that as we prepare ourselves to go off to college for the first time, we expect things to be like what we’ve seen on the silver screen. Hollywood tends to fill our minds with ideas of wild parties, late night study sessions, and professors who are simply out to get you. Whether your ideas about college came from watching Elle Woods strut her way through Harvard Law School in Legally Blonde or from laughing as John “Bluto” Blutarsky was informed that he has a 0.0 GPA in Animal House, you’ll quickly realize that these films are far from reality. Within your first few weeks of college, you’ll see that with a little time management and the right Starbucks order, you can face any challenge that the semester may throw your way.

2. You catch more flies with honey…

You know the old saying – “you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.” Well, let me tell you, this is the God’s honest truth. As a college student, you’re expected to do just about everything for yourself. If there’s anything I’ve learned about trying to communicate with others, it’s that it’s always best to smile and be polite. Whether you’re having a spat with a friend or you’re trying to get help from one of your professors, it’s always best to be kind. You’d be surprised how far a few good manners can get you. Now go make your mama proud and show off your “please and thank yous!”

3. Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it

It’s time to swallow your pride and learn when to ask for help. No matter what it is that you’re struggling with, there’s always someone willing to help you. Whether you’re looking for help perfecting your resume or studying for your upcoming exam, you’ll always be able to find a friend or a department on campus that’s willing to lend you a hand.

4. Give yourself a break!

College a little bit of a culture shock. You’re away from home, you’re living with a bunch of strangers, and gone are the days of people telling you what to do. Although this can be very liberating, it can also be a bit stressful. Take a deep breath every once in awhile and remind yourself that no one expects you to be perfect. Everyone has their rough days, and you can’t beat yourself up for yours. Getting overwhelmed is perfectly normal. Be kind to yourself and give yourself a break when you feel like you need one.

5. Find your balance

In college, balance is the key to success. You have to quickly figure out how to manage your time and share it between socializing and studying. Some days, you’ll find yourself feeling like there just aren’t enough hours in the day to do everything that you need to do. Although it’s very important to spend time with your friends, I promise that they’ll understand if you miss a night out because you have an exam to study for. Don’t let FOMO get the best of you, and remember that your friends will always be there to celebrate with you after you ace your exams.

6. Slow down

Don’t underestimate how quickly the next 4 years are going to fly by. It’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of student life. Between classes, studying, student organizations, and socializing, you will surely find yourself busy most the time. Be sure to slow down every once in awhile and take it all in. The memories of doing something spontaneous on your day off or soaking up some rays on The Green in between classes will last a lifetime.

Marisa Wanzie is an undergraduate student at the University of Delaware. She studies Media Communication with minors in Advertising and Art History. She is currently working towards a career that will utilize her passions for social media management, event coordination, and her love of all things Disney. In her free time, she enjoys reading, traveling, attending concerts, and watching reruns of One Tree Hill. She can almost always be found at either the nearest art museum or the nearest beach. You can follow Marisa's tweets as a Social Media Ambassador for the University of Delaware at @BlueHenMarisa. For more of Marisa's credentials, please visit: http://marisawanzie.wixsite.com/portfolio or www.linkedin.com/in/marisawanzie
Amanda Schuman is a junior at the University of Delaware. She is currently majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media and double minoring in journalism and interactive media. Amanda is passionate about all things communications whether it's social media, public relations, writing or just networking. In her free time she can be found watching sit-coms on Netflix, with a book in hand or eating anything sweet. You can follow her @bluehen_amanda