Women’s Aid – Who They Are And How They Can Help You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.
  • Trigger Warning –

This article discusses a topic that some may find sensitive – if you are affected by the topics discussed please reach out to Women’s Aid Ireland on their 24/7 free helpline 1800 341 900 

Women’s Aid is a notable organisation that works to stop domestic violence against women and children in Ireland. They have been working with Irish women and children for almost 50 years. Since their opening in 1974, they have played an important role in the shift of attitude socially, culturally and politically. Their aim is to stop domestic violence towards women and have been working towards that for the past 6 decades by providing supportive services. 

They run a phone helpline service which is open 24 hours, 7 days a week for free (1800 341 900). Women’s Aid also provide one to one support services which are based in 6 different locations in Dublin which are Ballymun, Coolock, Dun Laoghaire, Swords, Dublin City NorthSide and Dublin City SouthSide. The helpline Women’s Aid provides is the only domestic violence helpline that is nationwide and free to call. They have staff who are trained to specialise in these sensitive topics and cover up to 170 languages with interpretation facilities for those who need it.

Domestic abuse can come in many forms which include physical, emotional, sexual and psychological abuse. It also can happen at any age. Physical abuse is probably the most recognisable form of abuse that can leave people injured.  Emotional abuse is an effective way a partner tries to establish their power within a relationship. Often it goes unseen, especially to those outside of the relationship. This form of abuse is as hurtful and harmful as physical abuse. Financial abuse is also a form of emotional/psychological abuse many go through. This often leaves people caught between living in an abusive relationship or living in poverty.

Some signs of abuse to look out for include being pushed, slapped and beaten, being constantly criticised and put down, being controlled and monitored and one person controlling finances and not allowing an independent income. 

The organization release annual statistics, with a concerning rise during the pandemic. 202 saw 290,000 visits to the Women’s Aid website along with 30,000 disclosures of domestic abuse and a 38% increase in calls to Women’s Aid. 

In Ireland 1 in 4 women have been abused by a current or ex-partner. 6% of Irish women have been sexually abused and 31% psychologically abused. Do not ever underestimate what is happening to you if you feel you are being abused by your partner. Reach out to Women’s Aid if you need help, they are always there for you.

If you have been affected by any topics in this article please use the resources below.

Women’s Aid Ireland – 1800 341 900 

Samaritans – 116 123 

Pieta House – 1800 247 247

Her Campus DCU Brand Design Officer 21/22 Dublin, Ireland