Shopping via Unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Shopping via Unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cam Morin via Unsplash
Style > Fashion

Why you should start thrifting this semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

I really don’t know how to write this article without doing a happy dance, cause thrifting and second-hand shopping is my favourite thing ever. Just imagine, as I write this I have a big goofy smile on my face and I’m a bubble of happiness. Anyhow, you came to read about why you should start charity shopping, not about me, so let’s get started. If you stick around, I’m including a list of my favourite charity shops for you to have a nosey in! 

Donating to charity

One of the biggest benefits for me is that by shopping second-hand, you are donating to charity and receiving something back. I know for a lot of people, particularly students, the pressure to continuously donate money to charity can be a strain, but that’s where charity shopping comes in. Even if the item was a fiver, that’s still a fiver donation to that charity. Sometimes I used to feel like I wasn’t donating ‘properly’ or would even forget I was donating to charity, but it is a very important and beneficial way to donate. Often it can be a one or the other case for people, but with this option, you can often do both!

Beneficial to the planet

Arguably the biggest benefit of thrifting is the environmental benefit for the planet. As young people on the internet, we all know how bad mass consumption and the world of fast fashion are for the environment. According to SustainYourStyle.org, we now have 5 times more clothes than our grandparents had! As a direct result of dynamic trends, the need to keep up with the latest fashion trends has grown exponentially and the emergence of haul-related videos on TikTok has placed pressure on young people in particular to keep up with said fashion trends. The damage done to the planet spans so many areas – damage to aquatic life, the overconsumption of water, chemical pollution and the list goes on. As well as that, the new lifecycle of a garment is now only 3 years. Imagine how much clothing would be wasted and discarded in 50 years.

Ability to find your style

A hidden benefit to shopping second-hand is the ability to discover your own personal style. In comparison to high street shops, the price range is much lower. This means you can buy pieces, work out if they suit you and try a bunch of different clothes. Charity shops, in my opinion, are great for finding basics that will work with lots of different outfits. Think good layering pieces, denim jeans, basic t-shirts, anything! 

Find unique pieces 

Shopping second-hand is where you’ll often find the best gems. I love H&M and Co just as much as the next girl, but how many times will it take for us to get bored of hearing someone say ‘thanks, it’s Zara’? Charity shops give you a chance to find truly unique pieces. Think about it, a lot of people might donate bags of clothing from an old relative, for example. This means the chances of finding high-quality vintage at a fraction of the price are high. You’re thinking of brands like Ralph Lauren, Chanel, Tommy Hilfiger, you name it! Just to add to this, it’s always a good idea to look at every section in the shop. Just because you would normally browse the women’s doesn’t mean you can’t have a peek in the men’s section. You never know what you’ll find!

Charity shop recs 

As a little bonus, I wanted to add a small list of my favourite charity shops across the country. Remember that charity shopping is often luck of the draw, and you might not find something every time!

I have a select few favourite charity shops but I am continuously on the hunt for more. If you’re unsure about where to start looking, I would suggest more affluent areas of your location. For me, that’s making a trip out to Bray, Dun Laoghaire, Malahide, and Rathmines. 

Dublin – Enable Ireland, Oxfam Ireland & Vincents, Georges Street.

Wexford – Enable Ireland, Jack & Jill Foundation, Gorey.

Irish, Journalism & Digital Media student. Slow fashion advocate. Lover of knitting, cats and Taylor Swift <3