What Margot Robbie’s Acting Break Says About Women In the Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

“Everyone’s probably sick of the sight of me for now. I should probably disappear from the screens for a while now.”

As Margot Robbie steps into the new year, she gracefully bids farewell to the big screen. The most celebrated star of 2023 reveals that she will be taking a break from film for the foreseeable future. Speaking with Deadline, Robbie shared her intention to channel her energy into her production company, LuckyChap Entertainment. Despite being one of society’s most beloved actresses this past year, Robbie’s contemplation of her own over-exposure mirrors a universal fear that women have grappled with since the beginning of time: the lingering question of whether she is perceived as “too much?”

Margot Robbie’s concerns are not unfounded, nor are they unique to her. Repeatedly, we have witnessed the unsettling pattern of successful women in the entertainment industry facing intense scrutiny in the media the moment they reach their peak. This phenomenon is a well-known reality for actresses in Hollywood. Once they have graced one too many award-winning films or been on the cover of one too many magazines, society decides it is time that they be knocked off of their pedestal.

The media has been quick to draw parallels between the actress’s career hiatus and the experiences of other actresses labelling Robbie’s announcement as the “Jennifer Lawrencification of Margot Robbie.” Despite it being a decade later, Robbie’s career bears resemblance to that of Lawrence’s, who, thanks to her role as Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games in 2012, was catapulted to fame. She quickly became an on-screen best friend to many and with her loveable and relatable personality, she won fans over. However, her initial “cool girl,” reputation did not last for long. Before she knew it, fans turned against her. A few movie flops and awkward interviews later, the public perception shifted, and Jennifer Lawrence no longer resembled their on-screen best friend, but rather an anti-feminist,  “pick me girl.”

Katherine Heigl, too, faced Lawrence’s unfortunate fate. The Grey’s Anatomy star and Emmy winner found herself frozen out of Hollywood. Her supposed crime? Her unapologetic honesty about her acting roles, as well as working conditions in Hollywood. What was seemingly an innocent interview moment, would mark the beginning of Heigl’s downfall. The actress went from one of the most loved public figures to one of the most hated in an instant. Rumours painting her as ungrateful, rude and impossible to work with, dominated pop culture, tainting her image. Public scrutiny inevitably inflicted irreparable damage to Heigl’s reputation, and even a decade later, she has yet to be afforded the luxury of being anything but rude.

The media’s fickleness is glaringly obvious, as it swiftly shifts its opinions of successful women in the entertainment industry, unfairly scrutinising every move they make. They are put under a microscope. As the plight of sexism underpins the entertainment industry, women are held to impossibly high standards and are expected to conform to the media’s desired image of them. To society, stepping outside of these lines is the ultimate cardinal sin. As women like Robbie and Heigl begin to reach their peak in the industry, at best they are forgotten but at worst, their reputations are destroyed. Their careers unfortunately pay the price. This phenomenon highlights that women in the industry can be successful, just not too successful. Margot Robbie feels compelled to step back from the spotlight – a pressure not felt by men. Her decision highlights the unfortunate reality that women’s contributions and identities are mere “trends” subject to the whims of the time. 

This is ironically reminiscent of America Ferrera’s infamous monologue in the Barbie movie, 

“It is literally impossible to be a woman…Like, we have to always be extraordinary, but somehow we’re always doing it wrong…You have to be a career woman but also always be looking out for other people…But always stand out and always be grateful. But never forget that the system is rigged. So find a way to acknowledge that but also always be grateful.”

Even after all of this hindsight, women in the industry continue to grapple with the challenge to keep their right to be seen on the screen. Despite capturing the hearts of audiences worldwide, Margot Robbie has made it clear that she will be steering clear of the spotlight for a while. 

Margot Robbie’s hiatus speaks to the star’s awareness of the disheartening reality that public opinion turns on successful women in the industry in the blink of an eye. 

20 year old law student. HerCampus DCU Editor in Chief