This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

I absolutely adore being single in college, it’s a breath of fresh air not having to commit to a partner and being free to focus on myself. However, many of my friends seem to have this strong desire for a relationship. 

While many yearn for companionship, I can’t help but remind you gals of the endless benefits of why being single is the best thing ever especially during your college years and why you should LOVE IT!!

College years = a time to discover

During your undergraduate years, you have the opportunity to go on dates and meet all kinds of new people. Truly discover your preferences,  your green flags, and the red ones too. What you like and dislike. There’s time for us all to explore and experiment.

Heartbreak “no thank you”

Why subject yourself to the risk of potential heartbreak? I’ve witnessed and heard about it countless times. There’s simply no time in the roster for any more tears and enduring unnecessary pain. I already do that enough having an existential life crisis each week.

It’s all about you,  boo.

Most of us don’t have a clue what we’re doing. If you do,  pop off Queen. Without a relationship, I can develop my own personal goals and connect with myself. I can wholeheartedly focus on new hobbies and interests with all this time on my hands. 

I get to dedicate time to deepening my friendships and planning spontaneous adventures.

I get to enjoy my own company and do what I want according to my own schedule. There’s no need to constantly consider the needs and wants of a significant other. Trust me I know how tiring that can be. I would rather stay relaxed calm and collected. 

funny stories 

Flirt with whomever and whenever. Leave college with the most outrageous, hilarious memories, and live the ordinary experiences with this freedom in your hands. Have fun and dance the night away.

No nagging friend 

Lastly, there’s so much less stress. You don’t have the constant nagging of a friend asking how you are doing all the time. We’ve all been guilty of doing it to one of our own friends and I genuinely can’t imagine having the same done to me. It’s really annoying and can throw you off your whole day as romantic relationships have their ups and downs. 

Being single allows you to live by your own rules! It really is a blessing in disguise. I refuse to come out of college in an unsuccessful relationship. Live on the single ladies for this duration of everchanging experiences!

18! First year journalism student🦋