This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

As a law student in Ireland, nothing is given more importance than legal internships. Career advisors and lecturers will throw internship opportunities at you at any chance, for a good reason! Internships are extremely valuable for a variety of reasons. They give you the opportunity to gain some industry experience, strengthen your resume and most importantly, figure out whether you are even going in the right direction with your future career! I completed my year-long legal internship in August 2023, so here are my top tips!

1. Ask Questions!

My number one tip is to ask questions! I know that sounds obvious but it is one of the most important things you can do to grow your career. When you first start your legal internship, you will have no idea how things run in your firm. You may think you have it all down because you’ve attended all of your lectures throughout the year, or you have perfect grades, but trust me, things work very differently in practice! You will be surprised at how confusing things can get, especially in large firms. Asking questions, no matter how trivial they are, will not only help you understand your work better but will also build your confidence in your skills. Your colleagues will always be happy to help with any questions. Remember, they were in your position once too! They would rather you take the initiative and ask questions instead of trying to figure everything out on your own. There is no shame in asking for help! 

2. Network

Networking is essential within the legal industry. Making and maintaining connections will be something you will thank yourself for in the long run. It’s easy to fall into a daily routine of simply completing tasks and going home after work. However, learning to communicate with your colleagues and building meaningful relationships is one of the most important skills you will learn. Be comfortable introducing yourself, and talking about your interests as well as asking questions to get to know others. During your internship, you will also be presented with opportunities to join networking events such as workshops, client events, meetings, etc. Make the most out of these invitations and get involved! It not only builds your confidence but also shows that you are enthusiastic about the firm beyond the 9 to 5 work!

3. It’s Not A Race!

Making your way through an industry as competitive as the legal one is tough, but you already know that! Comparing ourselves to those in our field is something we can’t help but do. I used to compare myself to my classmates all the time, and I still find myself doing it now! However, my internship taught me that finding your place in the field is not a race! You have all of the time in the world to figure out your career goals and passions. It is okay if you haven’t figured it all out yet. You are still so young!  Internships are a great way to organise your thoughts and think about your future. An internship can either present you with your dream job or help you realise that this particular role isn’t really right for you. This means you can focus on figuring out what you are really passionate about! Either way, the experience is always an invaluable one. 

Overall, I had an incredible time as a legal intern in Dublin. I learned many invaluable skills that I know will serve me as I enter the legal industry after college. However, the thing that I have come to appreciate the most after completing my legal internship, was my personal growth after a long year of interning.

My personal legal internship experience showed me that any experience is what you make it, so make it worth your while!

20 year old law student. HerCampus DCU Editor in Chief