Image is of our new logo
Image is of our new logo
Her Campus DCU

What DCU Is Doing To Help Turkey And Syria

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Earlier this month, UNICEF reported that a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck Turkey and Syria causing significant damage and devastation across both countries. The earthquake has been described as the “worst in a century,” by the World Health Organisation’s director of Europe. As the death toll reached 40,000 across both nations, Hans Kluge stated,

We are witnessing the worst natural disaster in the WHO European region for a century and we are still learning about its magnitude.

Rescue workers along with many global organisations have taken action to give aid to both nations, searching for signs of life amidst the debris as well as offering donations to help those in need. Despite the tireless work done by those involved, relief has struggled to reach many. With the death toll rising each day, it goes without saying that the victims of the Turkey- Syria earthquake need any help that they can get at this time. Given the severity of the disaster, DCU has called for its students to help out in any way that they can; whether that be through donations or spreading awareness. Here are some of the things that DCU students can do to contribute to this.

Coffee Morning Fundraiser 

In February, DCU organised a coffee morning fundraiser in aid of the disaster for the relief efforts. The coffee morning brought students and staff together to raise awareness and funds. With the fundraiser, over €2,000 was raised for the Irish Red Cross. Students are encouraged to continue to donate to https://www.redcross.ie.

DCUSU Donation Drive

From 13 February 2023, from 9 am to 5 pm, the DCU Student Union started collecting donations from students and staff through a donation drive. All donations are being collected at the SU Helpdesks on both campuses. The Student Union has provided a list of items that they will be accepting including winter clothes as well as other materials such as pillows, blankets, tents, hygiene products and more. They are also accepting financial donations. Please see their Instagram post for more information on how you can support the victims of this crisis.

Remember that any donation made (big or small) is appreciated by those in need!  

20 year old law student. HerCampus DCU Editor in Chief