This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Okay, so as the resident vegan (we have levelled up from a “trying vegan”) here at HerCampus DCU, I thought it would be fun to do a little review since *so* many new vegan products came out in popular takeaways to celebrate Veganuary. I have been trying them, and I am so excited for my little awards ceremony. I will be giving a score for taste and texture, and an overall score. Just to mention, I am including certain things that came out before January, as I want to do an all-around list touching on every popular takeaway chain in Ireland. So from worst to best (in my opinion) here we go…

5.  Burger King – Plant-Based Whopper.

This might be biased because I have never been the biggest lover of Burger King, but to me this just is not it. When you go for a vegan option, you tend to want it to blow you away, both in taste and texture. For me, this lacked. And don’t even get me started on the nuggets. Not for me.

Texture – 5

Taste – 6

Overall – 6/10

4. Subway – T.L.C Sub

I’m going to say it. Subway let me down, ever so slightly, on the texture side. Now look, vegan chicken is difficult, and for the most part, it may depend on what you put in your sub. I stuck to my normal choice of fillings, vegan bread, and vegan sauce, but it’s the texture for me. The best way I can describe it was it felt like undercooked chicken. Taste-wise though, I couldn’t tell the difference. Now as I said it probably does depend on your choice of fillings as those tend to give off the most flavour but honestly, it was good, and I would happily order it and look forward to it again.

I HAVE to mention the cookie. The Vegan Double Choc cookie is DELICIOUS. 10/10

Texture – 5

Taste – 9

Overall – 8/10

3. Dominos – Plant-Based Pepperoni Pizza

I had little hope for this, but wow it blew me away. Judging by the look of it, it looked identical to the actual pepperoni pizza my boyfriend was having beside me (except the plant-based pepperoni was a little pale but that’s fine). When I tell you I was shocked….. it was so nice! They also include a little vegan garlic and herb dip which I will say is super important as the pizza is a little bit dry, but honestly, I liked it.

Texture – 8

Taste – 8

Overall – 8.5/10

2. KFC – Vegan Burger

So, for this burger, KFC used a Quorn Patty. Quorn products for me are hit or miss – some are gorgeous, some aren’t up to scratch in my opinion. So needless to say, I was concerned. I was happily surprised when I tasted it, as though you could sort of tell the difference, it still tasted like the KFC burgers we know and love. This may have to do with the toppings, but honestly, I don’t think so. Now it’s obviously not the best vegan option in my eyes because it’s sitting at number two, but it’s not a bad try from KFC.

Texture – 9

Taste – 9

Overall – 9/10

And here we have it. The big reveal. If you know me, you already know what the winner is because when I tell you I haven’t shut up about it….

1. QUEEN MCDONALDS – McPlant

OH. MY. GOD. ORDER THIS RIGHT NOW AND TELL ME YOU CAN’T TELL THE DIFFERENCE. She is GOD-LIKE I cannot get over it. I REFUSE to order any other takeaway since I have found her. I AM STUNNED. The texture, the taste, EVERYTHING it tastes like a quarter pounder from McDonald’s I promise. To test my theory, I gave some to my mum and my boyfriend, both of whom are very critical of vegan food and EVEN THEY LIKED IT.

McDonald’s teamed up with Beyond Meat to produce this burger and it was a long time in the making but wow did it pay off. This is by far the best vegan option available at any takeaway chain restaurant, and I am DELIGHTED.

Texture – 10

Taste – 10

Overall – 10/10

So, your homework… You already know. TRY A MCPLANT AND THANK ME AFTER. All I need now is for McDonald’s to bring in vegan milkshakes and I’ll be flying.

Honestly one last thing though – I am so happy that so many takeaways are FINALLY offering vegan options – and good ones! I am so proud.

My name is Emma, and I'm originally from the north west of Ireland! I'm a journalism student in DCU, and have loved reading and writing ever since I was young. I'm a big lover of music, and also do some modelling work on the side!