Top 5 Movies To Watch With Your Galentines On V-Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

This article is going to count down the five best movies to watch with your friends this Valentine’s… or should I say Galentine’s Day. I’ve included a mix of films ranging from cheesy rom-coms to laugh-out-loud comedies, to create that perfect binging balance. So grab some heart-shaped chocolates, put on those pink and red pyjamas and cuddle up for the best Galentine movie night yet.

Also, it is crucial to note that these are not in order and I would binge each one equally on February 14th or any other day, to be honest. 

1. How to be Single

Ok, hear me out… I know the name sounds very stereotypically single but this film is so much more than that. It’s got romance, wit and comedy but also with a strong focus on finding yourself without having to have a significant other. The film is just as much about friendship and finding your own identity, as it is about love, the perfect Galentine special. 

This film also stars some absolute girl bosses themselves, with Dakota Johnson, Rebel Wilson, Alison Brie and my personal favourite, Leslie Mann, accompanied by some tasty eye candy known as Andres Holm. For this movie I recommend grabbing some rosé, popping the popcorn, and getting ready to want to move to the big apple and live the dream. 

(Currently available on Netflix).

1. A Cinderella Story

I mean a young Chad Michael Murray as Mr. Nomad 609, otherwise known as Austin Ames, do I need to say anymore? However, if you’re still not convinced, this story puts a modern twist on the classic story of Cinderella. Sam, played by the wonderful Hilary Duff, meets a new pen pal through a college forum and agrees to meet him at a school dance, however, not everything goes to plan and she has to make it home before her crazy stepmother and jealous step-sisters. The time is ticking but Nomad wants to know her real identity, better watch to find out what happens next. 

I’m also not going to lie, I’m also a major Jennifer Coolidge fan and she plays the evil stepmother and it makes this film even better, queue “you’re not very pretty and you’re not very bright”, I think I quote her from this movie at least 3 times a week. So trust me when I say you will never regret watching this film if I could give it more than 5 stars I would. 

(Currently available on Netflix)

1. 13 Going on 30

I mean who at 13 didn’t want to be thirty, flirty and thriving… exactly! This movie follows a young Jenna Rink, played by Jennifer Garner and Christa B. Allen, as she struggles with her identity and body as a teenage girl. So on her thirteenth birthday, she makes one wish and wakes up the next day as a thirty-year-old with a whole new life. 

Ever since I watched this film for the first time I have wanted to move to New York, write for a magazine and play battleship ;) (if you know, you know). This film is the perfect girlie chick flick for your Galentine’s Days movie marathon, but beware you will want her life once you start watching… it’s inevitable. Also, I am 100% having a 13 going 30 themed birthday for my 30th. 

(Currently available on Amazon Prime).

1. Bridesmaids

Next up is the hysterical, brilliant Bridesmaids. A classic story of friendship, rivalry and love. The film follows Annie, played by Kristen Wiig, as she is asked to be her best friend’s maid of honour. However, all does not go to plan when her best friend invites a new friend to the wedding and things seem to go downhill from there.

This film also features the amazing Melisa McCarthy, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Wendi McLendon-Covey and so many more, impeccable cast, top tier humour and some love… the perfect Galentine movie cocktail. 

(Currently available on Amazon Prime and NowTV).

1. John Tucker Must Die 

Lastly, but in no way the least favourite, is the sensational John Tucker Must Die. Come on who doesn’t love a bit of romance whilst getting revenge, I know I do. This movie follows a womanising teenage heartthrobs ex-girlfriends as they set him up to fall in love with a new girl. They want him to feel the pain he put them through whilst cheating on all of them and trust me, they do. 

I am also a big Sophia Bush and Britney Snow fan and they both play the main characters in this movie, plus for all you, YOU fans, Penn Badgley has a cute little side role as the womaniser’s dorky but cute brother. Trust me when I say this is chick-flick gold and must be consumed with the warning that you will re-watch for many years to come. 

(Currently streaming on Amazon Prime and Disney Plus)

Finally, binge responsibly and have a happy Gal or Pal or Val-entine’s Day. Stay safe and enjoy. 

DCU PR and Strategic Communications masters student and contributor to Her Campus. Lover of coffee and hater of long commutes.