This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

It goes without saying that January is quite frankly a hellhole. It just is. Congrats to everyone who got through it, I am so proud of you. It’s a month of just getting through every day until the weekend and repeating that four times. Destressing at the end of your day is always a good idea, an important way to distinguish between the working day and your own personal time. I have written some of my favourite ways to destress and relax after a long day, feel free to take note of some of them and implement them in your daily life! 

The most obvious way to destress is to pick up a book! I know reading isn’t for everyone, but I am an avid reader and I simply adore escaping to a different world. Recently I have been on a big reading spell, something that comes and goes often! I enjoy reading a chapter or two with my cup of tea in the morning to gently wake up (if I don’t have a 9am, that is!) or a few chapters at night-time right before I sleep. 

If you fancy implementing this into your routine and are in need of some fresh book recs, look no further! Here are a few I read recently that I would highly recommend: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid (if you’re a Swiftie, check out the hidden Easter eggs!), Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney (make sure and read it before the movie comes out!) & The Spanish Love Deception by Elena Armas (enemies-to-friends, slow-burn romance, need I say more??)

Okay, it seems obvious, but I really love putting my phone down for even a half-hour before bed! I know, however will you live without TikTok before bed!! But seriously, have your wee scroll and then pick up one of the aforementioned books. Even a half-hour helps. I find being away from the glare of the screen is amazing, but so is the need to constantly scroll. Be content that you’re not missing anything essential and that your sleep will benefit! 

You might have to hear me out on this one, but knitting. I am by no means a crafty or creative person, but I love to knit for a myriad of reasons. First of all how cool is it to say you can knit! In this day and age! Almost like a superpower. You might be thinking ‘Oh, I don’t have the money or resources to start knitting’ or ‘It’s too hard to knit’. 

So, materials to knit with are found cheaply in places like Dealz, meaning if you don’t go on to become a famous knitter, you can cut your losses. Second, there are a gazillion YouTube videos available to teach you! (Or if you’re lucky enough to be a student in DCU, do take note of the Crochet & Knitting society established there!!) I enjoy knitting because I get to make pieces of clothing for everyone I know, but also because it takes my phone out of my hands and makes my mind focus on something other than my TikTok for you page. Bonus points because you can easily knit while watching TV. 

A journal is another good way to destress. If the day was long and you need something to get out of the work mode, a journal might be the way to go. You can use any notebook or even your phone! If you’re unsure of where to start, lots of Youtubers and influencers have journal prompts on their Instagram. My favourites are Meg Hughes and Nayna Florence, or you could simply recall how you felt that day or the events of your day. 

These are some of the methods I like to use to destress from my college mindset, most of which are quite cheap but have a huge payoff. It is so important to take care of yourself, all the time but especially in such a hard month like January. While these are some useful tips, if you feel like none of these are working, it might be a good idea to speak to someone professional. Most likely your college SU has some resources to help you and really want to help you.

Take care of yourselves loves!

Irish, Journalism & Digital Media student. Slow fashion advocate. Lover of knitting, cats and Taylor Swift <3