Quick and easy meals for students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

It’s safe to say that most students are definitely not gourmet chefs, often their skills leave a lot to be desired. It may be easier to order a takeaway or have a ready-meal rather than face the challenge that is home cooking but trust me; these types of meals are not your friends. 

Not only are they missing the right nutrients to give you the energy that you need for lectures, assignments, and most importantly, nights outs but they also end up costing you a fortune. 

So, put down that pot noodle and try some of these easy meals that anyone can throw together and that won’t break the bank. 

1. Spaghetti Bolognese 

This should be a staple in every student’s diet. It’s easy, it’s delicious, and most importantly it can be very cheap. Plus, it can be great to share with your housemates to help cut the cost! If you don’t fancy sharing this dish freezes really well too. If you’re vegetarian simply swap the meat with Quorn and you’re sorted. Find a super basic recipe here

1. Stir-fry 

A nutritious meal that’s so easy to make and as you get more experienced you can start adding in different flavors that you want to try! With only five basic ingredients (chicken, frozen veg, soy sauce, oil and salt) you can make a delicious meal in a matter of minutes.  Omit the chicken and add extra veg for vegetarians. See the recipe here.  

1. Jacket potato 

Inexpensive and full of energy, this is the most basic of meals and is nearly impossible to mess up. Rub in oil, salt and pepper and throw it in the microwave, this recipe will be ready in about five minutes. You can have this on its own or top it with anything you want such as veg, cheese, bacon or baked beans. 

1. Curry  

Although a curry from the takeaway is great, they can be full of MSG and are often overpriced. A homemade curry is far healthier and for a fraction of the price you can have your meals made for the week as you can pop any leftovers in the freezer. The prep time for this meal is just 10 minutes – so no excuses!  

1. Omelet 

Probably the most straightforward recipe on the list, an omelet is cheap and cheerful – you probably have all the ingredients in your press anyway. This basic recipe is really nutritious and high in protein. It also gives you room for putting your own twist on it and experimenting with a variety of fillings.  With a total prep and cook time of 7 minutes, an omelet is the ultimate ‘fast food’. Find the recipe here

So, stock up your cupboards with the basic ingredients above and pack your freezer with veg and meat, this way you’re only minutes away from a speedy homemade meal. 

Photo by Elli O. on Unsplash

Journalism student in Dublin City University with a passion for creating, storytelling, styling and presenting.