Our Top Five Autumnal And Winter Binge-Worthy TV Series:

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Today we are counting down our top five autumnal and winter binge-worthy series, so put on the kettle, grab some snacks and get watching! I don’t think you’ll regret it.

1. Gilmore Girls

Coming in with the well-deserved first place is the iconic and timeless, Gilmore Girls. Gilmore Girls is set in the quaint fictional town of Stars Hollow and follows the dynamic mother-daughter duo of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore. To sum up the plot without giving too much away, the series follows the deadly duos daily life, as mother Lorelai deals with running an inn, life as a single parent, her own love life and of course we cannot forget Friday night dinners, whilst Rory tries to deal with the pressures of high school, several love triangles and the ultimate decision of Harvard or Yale. In my opinion, this show is the epitome of autumnal and cosy vibes and the best part is that when you finish the initial seven seasons, you can now watch Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life on Netflix. If you have never watched this before, go make yourself a cup of tea or hot chocolate, get into your cosiest pyjamas, grab some snacks and start episode one, or if you’re like me, start your fifteenth re-watch! Trust me, you will not regret it.

1. One Tree Hill

Number two on our list of top five autumnal and winter binge-worthy shows is the incredible, emotional and powerful One Tree Hill. This series follows a group of young teenagers navigating high school and in particular two half-brothers, Nathan and Lucas Scott. However, this show is not all rainbows and sunshine, it deals with serious issues and problems that every individual or young adult may have gone through, such as parental divorce, teen pregnancy, a school shooting and of course the ups and downs of young love. Overall, this drama series will have you falling in love and rooting for the characters as you watch them develop. A special shout-out also has to go to Brook Davis, played by Sophia Bush in this series, who becomes an absolute girl boss in the show and in the later seasons, she is the definition of ‘girls supporting girls’. All I can say about this is that it’s a must-watch and GO TREE HILL RAVENS! 

1. Emily in Paris 

Coming in third on our countdown list is a newer show on the scene, but don’t let that fool you, it’s got us all in our feels. Emily in Paris is a new Netflix show centred around 20-something year old Emily Cooper as she moves from Chicago to Paris after an unexpected job opportunity and trust me, this show has everything. The style, the food, the scenery and of course some Parisian eye candy, my personal favourite being Gabriel, who is Emily’s attractive French neighbour. The show follows both Emily’s career and personal life as she adjusts to the challenges of a new culture, new friends and new loves. Get ready to google ‘French Indeed’ because after watching this show, it is a guarantee you will want to move to Paris… don’t say we didn’t warn you!

1. The Bold Type

In fourth place on our list, we have the sensational ‘The Bold Type’, which personally reminds me of a modern-day Sex and the City. The show follows three young women, Jane, Kat and Sutton who work in the popular magazine, Scarlet, in New York City. What’s unique about this show as well, is that it was loosely inspired by the life of Cosmopolitan editor Joanne Coles and her time working at the magazine. This is the perfect show to live out your New York big city dream and also live vicariously through their exciting love lives. So get your besties around for a tv binge day, pop that rosé and get ready to start dreaming about becoming a magazine magnate in the big apple.

1. Schitts Creek

Finally, last but in absolutely no way least, we have the witty, loveable and downright hilarious, Schitts Creek. Schitts Creek follows filthy-rich media mogul Johnny Rose and his family as they lose everything and are forced to leave their luxurious mansion and move to ‘Schitts Creek’, a town they bought as a joke several years previous. The series follows the Rose’s journey of adapting to a less lush and lavish lifestyle and slowly becoming fond of this “armpit of a town”. Believe me when I say, this show will have you laughing, crying and just wanting to be best friends with them all. However, a massive warning does come with watching this show… if you give in and watch Schitts Creek, your vocabulary will change FOREVER! Sayings like ‘Ew David’ and ‘Fold in the cheese’ will become part of your daily life, but in my opinion, that only makes it better!   

Honourable mentions – FRIENDS, Ginny and Georgia, Firefly Lane, Outer Banks and New Girl.

In conclusion, from the list above, you can probably tell that I am a series binging queen but trust me that each of these shows is perfect for a cosy autumn or winter evening. I would personally prescribe fluffy socks, comfy clothes, hot chocolate and endless snacks to pair with these shows and in my personal opinion, I would start with Gilmore Girls…gets me every time (also absolutely team Logan, won’t say anymore)! But for now, binge-watch responsibly and go enjoy these top-tier binge-worthy series!

DCU PR and Strategic Communications masters student and contributor to Her Campus. Lover of coffee and hater of long commutes.