I’m a “Trying Vegan” Type of Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

First off, let me clarify. I have been dabbling in veganism for quite a while now. I would call myself a “trying vegan”, or something along those lines and I will tell you why. 

When I started college and moved out for the first time, I was excited to live on my own and cook for myself. I tried new recipes, tried new food options, and basically just stepped out of the food palette I had always had and completely changed it. 

The first thing I did was switch to oat milk and I swear I have never looked back. I have not drunk dairy milk in 2 years now, and I always go for soya yoghurt options. Genuinely? I feel much better day to day, but don’t worry, I take my vitamins to counteract the loss of calcium. 

The reason for switching was because I would find myself buying a litre of milk, using it in my morning latte, I was never a lover of milk or even dairy if I am honest, and by day 3 it would have gone off and I would not have drunk enough of it to justify the cycle. I figured that oat milk would last longer considering I only use milk really in coffees and porridge. I switched and have not consumed dairy in 2 years – and honestly, I do not miss it. 

Then, I moved slowly on to trying to cut out meat. Don’t get me wrong, I still succumb to temptation sometimes, albeit rarely, when it involves spicy chicken or a Big Mac, which is why I would class myself as “trying”. The good thing about going vegan now is, the choices are endless. I have had plant-based kebab meat, plant-based sausage rolls, plant-based burgers – everything, you name it I’ve tried it. The sheer fact that plant-based options are increasing in your local supermarkets mean it’s easier to do it now than it ever was.

Something else I found is that it opened my tastes – before this I wouldn’t have eaten sausages or bacon, unless it’s turkey bacon, I did love my turkey bacon, as I hated how bad it was for your health, but I find the plant-based versions delicious and guilt-free! It opens different types of foods that others may have been unable to eat due to their religion etc. 

On the topic of increased choices, I want to point out that cooking with vegetables and plant-based options literally, to me anyway, tastes the same as if you were using meat. The plant-based options are so good and healthy that you wouldn’t even know it wasn’t meat in most cases.

I think it’s important to mention that not all vegans or “trying vegans” will shove their beliefs down your throat. I am aware of the prominent figures on social media who shove their opinion and beliefs in people’s faces, telling them awful things because they eat a chicken nugget. I respect your beliefs and decisions, and I know that everyone feels different ways towards things. This is important to mention also, as now I often find myself feeling ashamed to mention that I am around 80% vegan, because of the stigma surrounding it because of the actions of a handful of people (vegan teacher, come at me x).

So instead of listening to all that, I have someone new for you to follow. Someone who will add to your life in more ways than bashing your beliefs if they are different to hers.

Release the beast, its Bimini Bon Boulash! My absolute favourite vegan ever, and someone I genuinely want as a best friend. Bimini is probably one of the most beautiful and kind vegans to walk this earth, and I love them so much!

If you’re thinking of going vegan or even just trying it out, I would say go for it. There is nothing to lose, and in my case, it’s made me feel so much better in so many ways physically, emotionally, and mentally.

My name is Emma, and I'm originally from the north west of Ireland! I'm a journalism student in DCU, and have loved reading and writing ever since I was young. I'm a big lover of music, and also do some modelling work on the side!
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!