Career > Work

How Your LinkedIn Could Help Further Your Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

You know you have reached adulthood when it’s time to make a Linkedin account. This social media platform is like no other! It is designed to make networking between business professionals easier along with the capabilities of sharing news and events that are upcoming in the business world. 

Having Linkedin has its perks! Here are some ways it could help kick start your career or further you in the right direction:

Your profile is your personal brand

Firstly, your profile will be the first thing a recruiter will see when they are on the search for the perfect candidate. Make sure you have an informative bio along with a descriptive ‘about me’ section to grasp their attention. When describing your tasks in each role you have worked, use verbs to emphasise your achievements. If a recruiter likes what they see, they might personally reach out!

Having a Linkedin account allows you to demonstrate your skills and achievements. Upload relevant projects, articles or videos you have worked on as proof. Get your ex-manager or colleague to endorse your skills to build trust between you and the recruiter. 

Networking, networking, networking!!!

This one isn’t a surprise to anyone! Linkedin is infamous for providing 100’s of people to connect with in every field from science to finance. There are many ways to go about it:

1. Look up the company you want to work at, click people and look through their employee’s role descriptions
  2. Find alumni from your university and see if they are working a role you interested in
  3. Look up a role you would like to and find people in your county/country 

Once you have stalked a couple of people’s profiles, make sure to always send a personalised request invite. Something along the lines of “ Dear X, My name is Y and I am a (insert a couple of lines about yourself, what degree you are studying or place of work). I would love to connect with you and learn more about your role at Z and the industry you work in. Thanks, Y”. 

When the person accepts your request, reach out and ask if they would like to grab a coffee or hop on a Zoom call. Prepare a series of questions you would like to ask them and start forming genuine connections with them. This will make you memorable and benefit you in the long run. 

Seek and you shall find 

Job searching is not easy! Linkedin has an extensive job board with new roles advertised every day. If you search hard enough, you might find your dream job. Choose from internships, full-time work to even remote work to suit your schedule.

HerCampus DCU Co-Chairperson