This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

If you’re a student, you know that money can sometimes be tough to come by. I empathise with you, I’ve done my fair share of skimping and saving money. I’m hoping with this little article I can give you a few tips to help you save money without missing out on fun things!

Meal prep

This might seem smart, but some people forget it. Meal prepping is one of the best things you can do. For those living in cities with easy access to a supermarket, it can be such a temptation to pop to the shop every other day to pick up things you might need. Instead, the best thing to do is to pick a day and do a full grocery shop. By doing this and picking up basics like frozen chicken, pasta, veg and little extras, you can create a whole host of meals. My favourites are spaghetti bolognese and carbonara. The best benefit to this is that you can make a couple of extra portions and pop them in the freezer for later, making your life easier so that Monday evening you don’t feel like cooking.

Skip the daily coffee

I know this can be a hard habit to kick, but you gotta skip the daily coffees. Or at least cut back. I was this person, so I know how hard it can be. We all love a silly little latte, especially as a treat for going to college. Instead, I try to make my own in a wee keep cup thermos mug, OR I just ration my weekly coffees. So instead of picking one up before Monday class, and again on Wednesday and Thursday, I just chose a day I really feel like a little pick me up. Being selective sounds like such an easy thing to do but it really will save you so much money!

Leap card

If you’re a college student, you already know the benefits of the Leap Card. It saves us so much precious money. If you don’t, go to the website and apply for one ASAP!!! You can get a Young Adult Card for 17-23 year olds and it just saves so much money. Another way I save on fares is not tapping unless I’m going on a long journey. I know it’s 70 cents versus a euro, but if you’re only going a short distance, make sure and say it to the driver, save that 30 cent!!

Unidays

Unidays is an amazing app, students across the globe love it. So, it’s pretty simple in theory, you just sign up with your college ID, login, and there are tons of benefits waiting for you! Think of loads of discounts on shops, restaurants and even attractions. My favourite is the 30% student discount in Milanos, you all know I love love love a big bowl of pasta!!

Study in college

This is a pretty simple tip but college libraries are amazing places to study. Make use of all the spaces on campus, after all, you’re paying good money to study there. Instead of finding a coffee shop for the day, head on into college and find your library. The added benefit is seeing other students working away – perfect motivation to start working!

Charity shop

Probably my favourite tip ever, if you know me or have read my other articles you know I am the biggest charity shop advocate ever. If you need new clothes during college, look no further than your local chazza shop. You’ll find tons of basics and even some hidden gems! Plus, you’re being kind to the environment, and it gives your clothes a little story, it makes them unique!

Grocery shop AFTER food

This seems random but helps a lot. Loads of families use this tip to minimise damage in the grocery shops. A good idea is to eat a decent meal before going shopping, you’ll save yourself extra money. What tends to happen if we go shopping on an empty stomach is you’ll end up picking up a cup of soup, or a roll or something to snack on while you get our bits. Hopefully, you’ll only pick up the essentials and won’t buy them unnecessarily.

And there you have it, my little tips for saving money in college. Lots of them are common sense but we often forget them, and fall into the trap of spending extra money. Implement a few of these and see if you notice a difference! 

Irish, Journalism & Digital Media student. Slow fashion advocate. Lover of knitting, cats and Taylor Swift <3