This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Okay, just let me say I think I won with this article. I say it so many times, but I do everything for the aesthetic and the aesthetic only. That is my entire reason for being. The only reason I step outside the house every day tbh. So I’m pretty much the queen of romanticism, so with that, let’s get into the article! 

dress like your about to meet the love of your life

So, I am a bit boy-crazy, but you can blame the endless romcoms and romance novels for that. I always figure, if I MUST go to college, I can do so slaying the fashion game. 

Not to be mean, but often so many people wear leggings or sweats to college and I just like to dress up a lil more. Now, no hate whatsoever, we all have our leggings days. But I find if I’m wearing an outfit I love, I always feel more encouraged to go to class. 

This might come down to my main character complex in that I think everyone is always looking at me, but a good outfit makes all the difference for me. Right now, I’m leaning into the whole mini skirt and tights, soft knit jumper, fuzzy scarves theme, the perfect fall palette really. I always have my Longchamp Le Pliage on hand, and off I go. 

Side note: I’m also a HUGE fan of having a little takeaway coffee as a final push when I get to college!

Make your environment cosy

If you can’t already tell, I’m feeling hella cosy right now. In order to motivate myself to do actual work, I usually set up at my desk with everything I need, a glass of water and my hot drink of choice, which will always be a cup of tea (strong, two sugars, milk anyone??). I find having these small things, plus a cosy outfit and warm slippers always helps me get into a study mood. Plus I play an instrumental playlist to get lost in while working away. As I write this article there is a jazzy, vibey playlist whirling away in the background, just keeping me company.

Music is key babe

This is more so for when you’re not working. When I am working, I prefer an instrumental playlist I can get lost in and not be distracted by. On the other hand, while I’m walking to and from college, and around campus, I always blast my fave music to get me happy. The way I see it, yes I do have a 30-minute walk to college, but that means 30 minutes of music (or 3 All Too Well (10 Minute Version)(Taylor’s Version)(From The Vault) if you’re a Swiftie like me). Life’s all about compromise baby. Right now I’m listening to my monthly playlist for October, full of music from Dermot Kennedy, Declan McKenna and The Coronas. I really don’t think you can get any more main character than that now. 

Get that netflix list in check

So I’ve just spent that entire article telling you how to motivate yourself to go to class and to sit down and do work, and now it’s time to relax. My ultimate fave way is to get cosy in pj’s, grab a hot drink and watch some comfort tv. As it’s now Autumn, we all know I’m about to recommend Gilmore Girls. Now I know there are so many more series out there that deserve a chance, but Lorelai and Rory are just my comfort characters! There’s nothing I’d rather do than curl up and watch them make bad life decisions, kiss boys in supermarkets and drink their body weights in coffee! Plus, I’ve seen the show so many times that when I pick up my knitting project I can sit back and listen to the soothing sounds of Stars Hollow while working on some rows of knitting. 

So there you have it, my favourite ways to romanticize college! I know college can sometimes be a drag, but if you make some compromises it can be bearable. Mind yourselves this year, and please try to avoid burnout if at all possible!

Irish, Journalism & Digital Media student. Slow fashion advocate. Lover of knitting, cats and Taylor Swift <3