This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Gluten intolerance affects between 0.5%-13% of the population. Gluten intolerance can often be misdiagnosed as a lot of the symptoms associated with this condition can have many potential causes.

Gluten intolerance can often be referred to as celiac disease but this actually incorrect. Celiac disease is a severe autoimmune disease that can damage a person’s digestive system, and gluten intolerance doesn’t appear to involve the immune system or cause damage to the digestive system.

The intolerance to gluten can come on suddenly, even if you have been eating gluten without sickness for years.

To get diagnosed it usually consists of two blood tests, one called serology testing which looks for certain antibodies in your blood – elevated levels of these antibody proteins can indicate the intolerance. The second one is genetic testing for certain antigens that can be used to rule out intolerance. For some, to determine if they have a gluten intolerance they may decide to reduce or remove gluten from their diet while monitoring possible changes in symptoms in a food diary.

It’s unclear why symptoms of gluten intolerance happen, but as always, it’s important to contact your doctor if you find yourself suffering any of these symptoms, most of which occur shortly after consuming gluten.

• Diarrhoea or constipation
  • Bloating (a feeling of a full stomach that is uncomfortable and lasts a period of time)
  • Build-up of gas in the stomach
  • Abdominal pain
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea after consuming a meal with gluten
  • Headaches

If you have been diagnosed with gluten intolerance, you may be advised to avoid food with gluten included, such as:

• Wheat (and derivatives of wheat)
  • Barley
  • Rye
  • Brewer’s yeast (usually derived from beer)

The most common foods and drinks containing gluten:

• Pasta
  • Bread
  • Pastries/baked foods
  • Noodles
  • Cereals
  • Pancakes
  • Biscuits
  • Crackers
  • Some sauces and gravy
  • Beers

As always, if you suffer from any of these symptoms and think gluten intolerance may be something affecting you, contact your doctor before making any dietary changes so they can diagnose the condition and advise you on what to do.

My name is Emma, and I'm originally from the north west of Ireland! I'm a journalism student in DCU, and have loved reading and writing ever since I was young. I'm a big lover of music, and also do some modelling work on the side!