How To Keep Active Without a Gym Membership

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

No gym? No Problem!

Going to the gym can seem intimidating and stressful; you don’t really know what equipment to use or how to use it, and when the place is crowded you end up sticking to your treadmill or cross-trainer to save you from standing around awkwardly in the weights section doing a few odd squats. Joining your local gym or the gym on-campus can be very costly. Also, those who do get membership often end up never using it. For this reason, I am going to reveal some alternative ways to get fit and stay active without additional costs or stress! Yay!

Get Moving Outdoors

We all know by now the benefits to our health of walking, jogging and running, but still we manage to put off going outside and doing it. First thing in the morning or last thing at night are popular times for cardio. Cardio is anything that raises your core temperature and gets your heart-rate up a few notches. You don’t have to get super sweaty, you just have to move, so don’t be afraid of cardio! Cardiovascular exercise reduces the risk of type-2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke by up to 45% while also reducing stress and improving your blood circulation. Try for a 20-minute brisk walk or a 40-minute slow walk each day to begin with and you will feel one hundred times better, just don’t forget your tunes! A good playlist is proven to boost your energy and your mood, not to mention the time will fly! What are you waiting for? Walking and jogging are a fool proof way to a healthy lifestyle and they don’t have to be boring either! Why not try these apps to get you going?

Couch to 5k

Zombies, Run

Try Yoga or Pilates

It is not necessary to join a class to enjoy either of these disciplines. I follow plenty ‘yogis’ on social media to know that you can create your own space at home for stretching and meditating. It is preferable to have some sort of non-slip mat or rug beneath you as the floor can be very hard and cold! Yoga is perfect for anyone looking to relieve stress or improve their strength and flexibility. It focuses on moving your body between a sequence of poses while keeping a clear mind and controlled breathing. It can really help you to get in touch with your inner-self, release any stiffness, joint or muscle pains you may have. Daily yoga has been proven to relieve the symptoms of chronic insomnia and improve the overall quality of your sleep. It has also recently been linked to enhanced sexual performance and confidence in both men and women! There is an amalgam of video tutorials and step-by-step guides freely available online. Check them out, I guarantee you there’s a style out there for you!

Here are two yogis I have found particularly useful myself:

SaraBethYoga

Blogilates App

Dance, Dance, Dance

Think of all those nights you spent tearing up the dancefloor and how good you felt. Dancing releases happy endorphins and burns loads of calories at the same time. Dancing is the perfect way to shed a few pounds while having a giggle with the girls. Dig out your old ‘Just Dance Games’ and try out the ‘Just Sweat’ section, guaranteed you won’t remember dancing ever being such a workout! Dance can also be used as a form of therapy and is often prescribed to those suffering from Social anxiety or PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). There are tons of dance videos online that you can avail of for free, or you can go ahead and freestyle! Whatever makes you happiest! I admit some of the videos can be cringe worthy. So, you will just have to pretend that you’re in a movie and shake what your mama gave you! Remember the more you put into the moves, the more you’ll get out of them. In no time, you’ll build up greater stamina and core strength, while slimming down those thighs and waist. Give it a go!

Here’s two examples of the type of videos out there:

Dance Fitness with Jessica

POPSUGAR Fitness

Home Workouts

And finally, make some space on the floor or go outside, turn on your music and you’re ready to go. If you need weights for any exercises simply fill two water bottles of the same size and there you go, you have dumbbells! Home workouts can vary in intensity and length so you can always choose a workout that suits you. I recommend High Intensity Interval training (HIIT) for anyone looking to work up a good sweat in a short space of time. HIIT involves doing exercises at speed for short bursts with even breaks between each exercise. HIIT is a type of anaerobic exercise meaning that it continues to burn calories when the body is at rest for up to 40 hours after you complete your workout, boosting your metabolism in the process! You will feel much fitter and appear more toned if you incorporate HIIT into your exercise routine. I usually try for one session a week just to get all those good feelings afterwards. My all-time favourite Youtube channel for workout videos is FitnessBlender. I have been following their workouts for several years now and it never ceases to amaze me how much you can do in your very own home, with no equipment whatsoever, just you! Here’s the link to their page:

FitnessBlender

Among the masses of Fitness Bloggers out there, here are a couple of my faves. Their pages are seriously inspiring and motivational (I swear by their content):

LinnLowes

Meggan_fit_music

Stef_fit

They have some killer workouts and many of them can be done at home!

Hopefully this has been of some use to you! Don’t just wish it, work for it!

Best of Luck,

Maeve Gallagher.

Photo credit Becca Matimba@monikerbphoto

Journalism student in Dublin City University with a passion for creating, storytelling, styling and presenting.