How I Like To Romanticize My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Hey girls, how are we holding up? This time of the academic year can be pretty rough, due in part to the increasing amount of work. For us final year girls, I’m praying for you. It’s rough out here. As a coping mechanism, I do my best to romanticize the shit outta my life. Here are some of the ways I like to do that. 

Daily treats

One of my absolute favourite ways to romanticise my life and basically motivate myself to go to college is to have a small treat. Now, everyone’s ideas of treats are different, but mine are a cup of coffee while or after I’m studying, a pretzel from Lidl (right next to college too, so handy!), or buying a bar of chocolate. Some days, my treat to myself is even taking the bus into town so I can get the bus home and save my 30 minute walk! 

Playing your fav music

I don’t think I need to tell you this but playing your fav music is always my fav thing to do to romanticise my life. At the moment, or rather all the time, my go to artist is Taylor Swift, but recently I’ve been really feeling Dermot Kenndy, the Coronas, etc. I find listening to music on that dreaded 30 minute walk to college really helps break up the walk, and I always subconsciously start walking to the beat of my tunes. 

Clothes that inspire

If you know me at all you’ll know I’m a fashion girly, and as we get closer and closer to brighter, longer days I am pretty much bursting with happiness. I love love love to wear light, summery clothes, so from mid March onwards, all you’ll see me in is skirts and dresses. I enjoy wearing these perhaps extra clothes to college because it makes me feel like I’m in a 90’s or 00’s rom com, and what feeling is better than that? 

Have routines 

This is more a kinda self care tip but it’s something I always do. I try to be gentle with myself and stick to routines. I have my nightime skin routine, and I’m trying to lower my phone usage before bed. Those kind of things. I also love waking up early, and getting up and having a few moments to scroll or read in bed helps me feel better and more energised. 

Pinterest b!tch 

I think the number one thing to do to romaticise your life is to be a Pinterest bitch. Pinterest is my favourite app on this planet. I swear, absolute favourite. I love it because as the TikTok girlies explained, it’s the media without the social. Over on Pinterest there’s no pressure, just vibes. For peak vibes, I recommend following Meg Hughes, her boards are just so dreamy. I always make a new board at the start of the new year, and a few minutes scrolling does wonders for making me feel like my life is together. 

Hobby time

Lastly, this simply couldn’t be one of my articles without mentioning knitting. Or hobbies in general. I love to have a hobby. Currently I’m in my huge knitting phase, but I always swing between it and reading. I try to balance my hobbies evenly, knitting where I can’t be reading an vice versa. My fav reading time is just before bed or when I wake up and my new favourite place to knit is in a lecture! Yes, in college. I bring my current project in, something that is easy to work and begin knitting! I stop to take notes or participate but I find it is great for concentration, and particularly in Irish-medium classes, I really benefit from listening to the language. 

So those are my favourite ways to romanticise my life, particularly in college, although being working won’t change that. I think the world we’re living in can be a tough place to live at the best of times, and there is so much negatively going on right now, that it is important to look after yourself, and if that means getting a wee coffee everyday, so be it. Just try to bring a reusable cup! 

Irish, Journalism & Digital Media student. Slow fashion advocate. Lover of knitting, cats and Taylor Swift <3