FAB3?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
FAB3?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
her campus media
Career

How Big a Factor Should Expected Income Play When Choosing Your Future Career?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Alexa, play ‘Bills’ by Destiny’s Child. It seems to be the only word I’m hearing these days. 

As we enter into what we can now truly call a post-pandemic society, things are going smoothly in relation to reigniting relationships and morphing back into socialisation.

However, it can be difficult to enjoy these somewhat new and exciting times without the impending fear of financial instability hanging over our heads. While I’m extremely lucky to live at home during college and not have to worry about paying rent or energy bills, or for simple everyday items that I often take for granted like groceries, not a day goes by where I don’t hear or read about the current cost of living crisis and the severe impact it is having on our nation. Although this crisis may not affect me directly right now, I fear for my future and the role that our country’s financial state will have in my life. Having said that, I often stop to think, have I made the right decision in regards to my future career choice? 

Don’t get me wrong. Up until now, I didn’t think twice about choosing to become a primary school teacher. Having completed my first stint of school placement last March, it couldn’t have gone better and I enjoyed nothing more than getting to know the thirty amazing children that I had the pleasure of teaching, alongside the reward of seeing them progress as time went on. Although, with the way things are going in Ireland’s current economic climate, nothing shocks me anymore, and seeing hundreds of Ireland’s teaching graduates flocking to countries like Dubai and Australia has become the reality. It’s almost as if our story has been written for us, and unfortunately, we have no say in the ending. This story seems to go: 

Get a degree. Move abroad. Hopefully save up enough money to return and settle in Ireland. 

While this may be a dream for many, it could be somebody else’s harsh reality. This leaves me wondering: Will following my passion and choosing a career path that means so much to me be the best decision I’ve ever made, or a choice that will leave me forever worried about the figures in my bank account? 

The thing is, though, I could’ve chosen an alternate career path in which the above problems would potentially never cross my mind, but where’s the joy in that? Is it really worth choosing a career that doesn’t ignite a spark in you and leaves you feeling completely miserable at the end of your working day? Of course, financial stability is a major benefit when weighing up the pros and cons of a particular job, but not if this certain job will strip you of your happiness and internal fulfilment.

I’ve realised that I’d rather find intrinsic motivation in my job and truly relish the time I spend working in my chosen career, than spend my days regretting a job I have no interest in and constantly thinking, what if? As the saying goes, choose a job you love, and you’ll never work a day in your life! 

In a few years time, I’ll have thirty eager beavers sitting in front of me, ecstatic at the thought of learning and being around their peers everyday. Who knows where I’ll be – Ireland, Australia, Canada, Dubai? Either way, I know that I’ll be proud of myself for following my heart, and that everything will work out the way it’s meant to.

Studying to become a Primary Teacher in DCU <3