This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Winter is never kind to my skin.  I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling that my skin has been left looking a little dull and dry from the dark evenings and harsh winter weather, even if I haven’t left my house all that much. With the fresh starts of spring only a few weeks away it’s time for a brand-new skincare routine to kickstart the dewy skin we all crave.

Vitamin C is the secret ingredient of the season. No, I’m not talking about the glass of orange juice you have at breakfast. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and it’s been proven to prevent the damage caused to our skin by environmental aggressors. According to leading dermatologists, the main benefits of adding Vitamin C to your skincare routine are: brightening, firming and even skin tone. What more could you ask for from one vitamin really?

Vitamin C can come in various different forms which one you choose is dependent on your skin type. The most efficient way to add this miracle ingredient into your skincare routine is through a vitamin C serum. Generally speaking, serums contain high concentrations of their active ingredients. Serums apply these active ingredients directly to the skin increasing the penetration through the skin of the active ingredient. For those with more sensitive or dry skin, it may be better to mix the serum in with your favourite moisturizer or even opt for a vitamin c infused moisturizer. 

Whether you choose a moisturizer or a serum is not the most important thing when integrating Vitamin C into your routine for the first time. What you have to think about are percentages! I know maths is not my thing either, but just stick with me here. 

Vitamin C products can come in various concentrations, ranging from 5% to 20%. The higher the concentration the stronger the penetrating power of the product through the skin. The tricky thing is the higher concentrations can be abrasive on some skin types which are not accustomed to the products. But that doesn’t mean you should steer clear of this wonder in a bottle. 

The advice of dermatologists is to start off with a low concentration, 5%, three times a week. You can gradually increase the concentration and frequency of use to suit your skin. Whether you use 20% five days a week or 10% twice a week the vitamin C will still work its magic.

Another thing to remember about vitamin C is that as it is an active antioxidant it can be vulnerable to light in high concentrations. For this reason, it’s important that you layer it under an SPF product.

Vitamin C can also be combined with other antioxidants such as vitamin E or ferulic acid within products to increase its effectiveness. When used together these antioxidants boost the penetrating power and properties of vitamin C. 

With its numerous benefits and variety of uses, Vitamin C should be a staple for all skincare routines. Although it may take some time to find the perfect balance for your skin, the rewards are definitely worth the wait.

Journalism Student at DCU
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!