This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

The GAA announced last week that all club activity was to be suspended with immediate effect, which impacted on counties yet to finish their Club Championships.

Portlaoise Hurlers were one of those clubs affected and Ross Brennan, who plays with them, was disappointed to have his county final called off.

“We were supposed to have our county final this weekend in the Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship against The Harps on Saturday.

“When we got the news that It was called off we were fierce disappointed. Obviously the week of a county final everyone is buzzing in training and putting in a massive effort, looking forward to the game. I’d be optimistic and hope that the match will get played.

“It’s hard to see it being played in the near future. Inter-county starting back and the restrictions the way they are – you’re looking at probably November or December before you can get to play the game,” Brennan said.

Brennan, who is a final year student in DCU’s Physical Education with Mathematics course, remarked how the GAA stated that they were going to prioritise club players on the resumption of activity, despite the inter-county action now continuing, with club games suspended.

“I think when the GAA were looking to get back going, they really put forward that they were going to give the club games priority and allow the club games to go ahead and that was the main idea of getting the GAA back for this year.

“Now they’re allowing the inter-county games to go ahead and expecting players from clubs including my own to go and train and play with the county.

“It’s hard on the club players who have county finals and semis coming up, to be told that you’re being put on the long finger and that you have to wait for those games indefinitely.

“You’re not even given a set date to work towards at minute – it’s fierce hard with no real timeline as such,” the DCU student said.

The GAA cited post-match celebrations and lack of social distancing, as their reasoning behind the suspension of club matches, in a statement published on their website.

“The decision has been taken in the interest of public safety following a number of incidents that have been brought to our attention in recent days.

“In particular, post-match celebrations and a lack of social distancing at certain events have proved disappointing and problematic,” the statement reads.

Laois GAA has had a challenging few months, as local restrictions a few weeks ago caused the Championship to be delayed and there is no set date for the action to recommence.

Sports Fanatic. Fond of a chat!
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!