Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Everything You Need to Know About the Birth Control Patch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

With so many options for birth control it can be hard to find one that truly compliments you.

The birth control patch for women is a type of contraception containing the hormones Estrogen and Progestin. The small patch is placed directly onto the skin one day each week, allowing you to wear the patch consistently for 21 days. 

In the fourth week you do not wear it, allowing for a period to take place. One main advantage of the birth control patch is that you only need to apply it once per week unlike the pill, which you take every day. 

When used correctly, the patch is more than 99% effective at preventing pregnancy.

The patch works similarly to combination birth control pills, releasing hormones into your bloodstream which stop your ovaries from releasing an egg, meaning ovulation will not occur, while simultaneously thickening cervical mucus to prevent sperm from reaching an egg. 

It is especially useful for those who have had bad reactions to other methods of contraception, such as the pill or bar. Emily Clarke Gifford from HerCampus DCU explained how the patch worked for her in this situation; “I use the patch because my body reacted negatively to the bar. I had to take the pill while I had the bar in because of the reaction and it didn’t help, so I knew neither of them worked for me.”

She explained: “My doctor recommended I use the patch and its honestly a lifesaver, I only have to remember once a week to change it and its even helped with how bad my periods used to be. It’s definitely worth looking into if you need something that’s easy to remember with little side effects!”

Like the birth control pill, you will need a prescription from your GP. While the birth control patch will prevent pregnancy, the patch does not protect against sexually transmitted infections (STIs).

The patch can be stuck directly on to the skin in any of these areas: Upper arm, buttocks, back or lower abdomen.

It is rare that the patch could fall off, only happening about 2% of the time, as the sticky material on the patch will remain sticky in the instance it gets wet in the shower or through sweat. If it does fall off, reapply as soon as you realize. If it has been off for more than 24 hours, you will need another form of birth control alongside. 

The birth control patch comes with some advantages that the combination pill does not.

It does not require daily attention and you do not need to remember to take a pill at a certain time every day and is easier for people who have trouble swallowing tablets

It provides a steady dose of hormones, eliminates the need to interrupt sex for contraception, isn’t impacted when you are sick and vomiting.

The patch can be removed at any time for a quick return to fertility. It is waterproof so you don’t have to worry about it falling off in the bath, shower or swimming.

In terms of how it can help your periods and womb, the patch can help you with heavy periods. It may reduce the risk of ovarian, womb and bowel cancer as well as fibroids, ovarian cysts, and non-cancerous breast disease.

The birth control patch is not suitable for everyone, and you should always talk to your GP before going on new medication. Your GP may advise you against this method of birth control depending on your medical history.

As with everything, it does come with side effects, which include; Breakthrough bleeding or spotting, Skin irritation, Breast tenderness or pain, menstrual or abdominal pain, headaches, nausea/vomiting, mood swings, dizziness, acne, fatigue and weight gain.

Because the patch delivers 60% more Estrogen than the pill, it increases the risk of side effects like blood clots, heart attack, and stroke. Overall, your chance of having one of these serious side effects is still low.

Some women experience temporary side effects such as headaches, as the patch can raise your blood pressure.

Research suggests that people who use the contraceptive patch have a small increased risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer compared with those who do not. But this reduces with time after stopping the patch.

Research also suggests there is a small increase in the risk of developing cervical cancer with long-term use of oestrogen and progestogen hormonal contraception.

Talk through birth control options with your doctor. Learn about all the benefits and the possible risks when making your choice. Pick the birth control that will be the most convenient for you and have the fewest side effects.

My name is Emma, and I'm originally from the north west of Ireland! I'm a journalism student in DCU, and have loved reading and writing ever since I was young. I'm a big lover of music, and also do some modelling work on the side!