This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Disney has announced a new episode in their latest season of Short Circuit Experimental Films and fans are ecstatic. In the announcement Disney revealed their first plus size heroine in the short film “reflect”.

The film follows Bianca, a ballerina, who struggles with her self image, feels lesser than her other classmates, and fights with her own reflection. She eventually overcomes this channelling her inner strength and twirls her way into self confidence. The movie holds a heartwarming message about self-love, body positivity, and overcoming body dysmorphia in a way that is appealing to children and gives them a lead they can identify with.

Historically disney hasn’t had the best reputation in terms of body representation in it’s films. The archetypal Disney princess was always conventionally attractive with a petite body and an unrealistically thin waist, something that they have always faced criticism for in the sense that it gave little girls an unrealistic view of what their bodies were meant to look like.  Although we have seen some progress in more recent years, for example Moana who has a more realistic figure, it is still very rare for a plus size lead, especially a female one, to take front and centre stage in a Disney movie, rather than acting as a comic relief character or a villain in some way shape or form.

The announcement got two different reactions. There were some parts of the public that felt like by making this announcement Disney was “glorifying obesity” and the representation of a plus size ballerina was inaccurate. However a large number of people praised Disney. One twitter user tweeted, “16 year old me needed this Disney short before I quit ballet because I didn’t want to be the fat girl in class anymore. I’m glad little ones will have this. 10/10 for Reflect!” It felt refreshing to finally have a plus size main character and one that the younger generation can see themselves in.

It’s also very important to showcase body dysmorphia and more importantly to show her overcoming it. Body dysmorphia or at least some form of insecurity surrounding the body is very common in young girls. By showing Bianca overcoming her own insecurities it can inspire them to do so too. 

In my opinion, this is a welcomed announcement. It’s good to see Disney embracing a more diverse perspective and it’s bound to have a more positive effect on their viewer. I can’t wait to give this a watch and I hope you all do as well!

Hey! My name's Temi! I'm a Law with media student at DCU. I'm a Nigerian-Irish writer and I've been writing since I was 10. I enjoy singing, crocheting and writing as well as watching a ton of video essays. I perform at open mics sometimes and I write my own poetry. I'm interested in Journalism and Media and I have written articles in the past and as of current.