This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Since Daisy Jones and the Six dropped on Amazon Prime two weeks ago fans all over the world have been constantly talking about it. With only six episodes released so far, the amount of tweets and TikTok edits posted can only represent how much people are enjoying the series so far. 

Since the book written by Taylor Jenkins Reid was published in 2019, the book sold well over a million copies and created a steady fanbase which fell in love with the universe created by the author, leaving a difficult task for producers to adapt the book for TV. 

The California 1970s atmosphere, the music and the love stories were what attracted the readers in the first place, along with great characters and a simple but intriguing plot; This all translated very well in the TV show. From the incredible performances of the cast who really tried to embrace the quirks of Jenkins Reid’s characters, to the high budget and meticulous production, the adaptation was a definite success. 

The music choices were one of the things that I admired the most. The soundtrack is composed of great songs from the time, starting with Dancing Barefoot by Patti Smith, the theme song which gives almost an exact description of the character of Daisy Jones.

Something that really struck me was the way the songs that were proposed by the author in the book, of course, just as lyrics, were brought to life for the series. From Aurora to Look at Us Now (Honeycomb), the team that is behind the sound of the band did a great job in giving it that 70s sound. 

The full playlist of original songs, the band’s album Aurora alongside other tracks from the Dunne Brothers and Daisy Jones, are now available on Spotify. This gives the series yet another aspect of credibility and makes it easy for the audience to lose themselves in the 1970s music universe. 

Even though a few of the “band members”, some of the cast, had no previous experience with playing their instruments, they all did a great job in learning how to perform.

In particular the frontmen, Riley Keough and Sam Claflin, who were not trained singers, were not only able to bring the songs to life with their voices, but they did so just how, as many fans underlined online, Daisy and Billy would have done in the book. 

It is safe to say that the series is quite loyal to the book all around. The story line is strictly the same as the book’ even though a few of the fan’s favourite details, like Karen’s nickname Karen Karen or the character of Pete Loving, were not included. 

Nevertheless, having read the novel, I feel like the adaptation was surely well done and I, as millions of fans, can’t wait for the next episodes to drop next week. 

Journalism student at DCU