Alternatives to Going Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Going out is a major part of student life but when the thought of a crowded nightclub sounds like a nightmare and when you don’t want to spend the next day with ‘the fear’, our writer Aine has created a list of some alternative ideas you and your friends can do. 

Go out for drinks and food 

This is a definite go to whenever thinking of something to do instead of going out. Honestly get a small group of friends and hit up Captain Americas at the start of the week for three euro cocktails and amazing food. This is the best mixture of alcohol, food and the perfect environment to have a chat and a catch up with your friends. Also on Wednesday’s they have Karaoke night if you’re feeling brave and want to show off your musical or non-musical talents to your friends.  

Late Night Café 

This one is for all those coffee fanatics out there. There are numerous cafes opened late all around Dublin you just have to have your eyes open for them. One of these café’s that is open later than most is called Accents. This café is opened until eleven and has a nice and comfortable atmosphere surrounding it. It serves great coffee and amazing hot chocolate with a side of board games you and your friends can play late into the night. It is located just off Stephens Green Shopping Centre and is definitely worth the visit.  

Wine Night  

This is the cheapest, and in my opinion, the best nights that you can have. Just get a group of your friends, a bottle of wine, stay at someone’s house and drink late into the night. All you need is a bit of background music and maybe even an episode of gossip girls or some other show everyone enjoys. This is the best way for you to catch up with your friends and to just chat and gossip. Sometimes it’s the simple things that make the best nights.

Cinema Dates 

Maybe I am the only one but I love going to the cinema. It’s something that just makes me so happy and content with life. Obviously, the Omni cinema is the number one choice with its great student deals on ticket, popcorn and drink all for only ten euro during the week. On Tuesday’s it’s even cheaper with only four euro a ticket or seven euro for your tickets, drinks and popcorn. With friendly staff, comfortable and clean screens it’s hard to beat. Plus it has a McDonald’s beside it for a quick bite to eat or even to smuggle some food into the cinema with you. It’s something everyone enjoys doing and the only real conflict that can happen is trying to pick which movie to see.  

BYOB Bowling 

Now, this is for the people who are willing to travel a bit for the session for this but honestly is super fun. This is basically what it says on the tin, bring your own beer and do some bowling, simple as! The closest one is either in Tallaght or Blanchardstown which is quite a trek but for the students that really want to experience this, it’s honestly worth it. It’s a great bonding night for you and all your friends. 

We hope that this is helpful and that you try some of these places and miss that coppers Tuesday instead.  

Thumbnail by: Aliis Sinisalu 

Photos by: Natalie Collins, Sergio Alves Santos, Jens Kreuter

Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.