To the Women Behind the Timely Warnings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Dear Women,

I’ve been thinking a lot about you lately. I want you to know I know you’re there, behind the hard-facts emails, that you’re lurking behind my screen hurting and trying to rebuild. It must be hard to see your experience written out so plainly like that. I guess I wouldn’t know so I shouldn’t say what you’re feeling must be anything, but if it is hard, I’m sorry.

I’m sorry this happened to you. I’m so sorry that this community failed you three, and so many others. I’m sorry that you’re feeling what you’re feeling, and I’m sorry that there’s nothing I can do except apologize. For whatever it’s worth, I’ve seen other people go through what you’re going through, and I’m sorry to know you’re experiencing that kind of hurt.

I want you to take care of yourself. I don’t know who you are, so I don’t know what that looks like for you, but whatever it is, make it a priority. Your professors will understand if you need lenience, and if you don’t want to talk to them about it, the Dean’s Office can intervene on your behalf.

I hate to say this. Really I do. But I need to tell you to try not to let the system dictate your recovery, because unfortunately, I don’t have faith in it. I hate to tell you not to believe in justice, I hate to take away the hope you might have right now, and I so, so, so hope that I’m just being one more cynical bitch behind her keyboard and am proved dead wrong. But I don’t know that I will be. So, if the system disappoints you, if the system fails once again to protect you, if, once again, it makes you feel powerless, please, please, please know that its outcome does not change what happened to you. It does not lessen it. It does not correct it. It is not a sign from the world that you should just get over it.

You have my support. I don’t know you, and you might not know me, and I don’t know if my support is worth a damn to you right now, but it’s right here if you want it.

I’m rooting for you. 

A Davidson Woman 

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.