Why You Should Celebrate Friendsgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Thanksgiving, for those who celebrate, is a time where we give thanks for our family, the opportunities we have, and reflect on the year all while stuffing our faces with an amount of food we will definitely regret later in the day. It can be filled with awkward conversations with relatives you barely know, hostile political debates (especially this year), and conversations you really don’t want to have (no grandma, I don’t know what I’m doing with my life, nor what I am studying, nor do I have any plans for the future). And while Thanksgiving is a great holiday, it can be very stressful for families. So, I encourage you all to gather up your leftovers, call up your friends, take a break from the anxiety of family gatherings, and celebrate Friendsgiving!

Friendsgiving is defined by Urban Dictionary as, “The celebration of Thanksgiving dinner with your friends. This usually occurs on the Wednesday before or the Friday after Thanksgiving Day, since Thanksgiving is usually reserved for family gatherings.” It’s an up-and-coming holiday that gives you the opportunity to reconnect with old friends and de-stress from the heated argument you had with uncle about the election results. Even Taylor Swift is celebrating Friendsgiving!

Logistically, Friendsgiving is probably one of the easiest gatherings to plan–all you have to do is tell all your friends to bring one or two dishes of leftovers to a central location, pop those Tupperware containers in the microwave, and you have yourself any easy, relaxed meal. Friendsgiving conversation topics can range from, “Remember that weird science teacher we had in high school?” to “Wait, your college doesn’t have a curfew for parties?” to even “Let’s plan a winter break trip to Montreal together even though we know that this won’t actually happen because our lives are way too busy!”

Whatever the conversation and whatever the quality of the leftovers, Friendsgiving is a perfect way to reconnect with old friends and get a second meal that will leave you feeling even more stuffed than you did the day before. Although it may be a little late for a 2016 Friendsgiving, it is never too early to plan one for next year!

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.