Who Davidson Students Support and Why: Hillary Clinton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

This is the third installment of a series profiling different students on campus on why they support different candidates.

I got to sit down with Eddie Bannon, a junior Political Science major from Manhattan. Eddie is a registered Democrat, but tends to support fairly moderate, and even sometimes conservative policies. He’s best described as a “left leaning moderate,” who generally looks for candidates who will be able to push things through a divided Congress and focus on more moderate strategies for long run progress rather than radical changes. All of the following information reflects Eddie’s beliefs and information he provided.

Policies

“She’s the classic continuity candidate… The Obama administration has made some really important strides in public policy but couldn’t accomplish everything we needed to. Hillary plans to continue the plans on things like health care and gun control. She’ll be able to perfect them because she learned about the issues while serving in the President’s cabinet.” For example with gun control, her policies are focused on perfecting the strides Obama has made by limiting the really dangerous weaponry civilians do not need in their day-to-day lives, like silencers, extended magazines, etc. “You don’t need an AK-47 to shoot deer.”

Similarly, with health care, she recognizes Obamacare isn’t perfect, but she can use her time working in the Obama administration to make necessary alterations rather than undoing all its progress. As far as foreign policy, she has “what I would term a ‘liberal interventionist ‘policy.’” What she showed in her time as secretary of state is that she works to strike a balance between American interest abroad—which often means keeping the U.S. out of major conflicts—and protecting international human rights. She has been critical of the Obama administration’s ‘half-measures,’ so it’s possible that we’ll see more intervention if she’s elected. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, however, so long as she continues keeping those two priorities balanced.

Qualifications

What makes Clinton stand out is how extensive her experience is. She was secretary of state, a New York senator; she spent years in the White house as First Lady. “If we’re talking about someone who knows what we’re doing in the political sphere, we’re talking about Hillary Clinton.”  As far as one of the biggest criticisms she receives, flip-flopping, “there’s a lot to be said about the reality of flip-flopping as a part of presidential campaigns, but the idea that we’re saying that Hillary is putting up a political front more than anyone else is ridiculous. Moderate and even unpopular positions are not signs of insincerity. Candidates should be allowed to revise their views. I would rather have a candidate who is willing to come out and say that they’ve looked more into the issues and have come to a new conclusion than someone who is holding to archaic views for the sake of appearing sincere.” Furthermore, “the traits of a politician, which are sometimes painted as insincere, are something to be valued, not criticized. With congress as dangerously divisive as it is, we need a politician. Yes, she’s careful about what she says and uses specific rhetoric, but that will help her if she (as I hope she will) inherits the government in its current state.”

Weaknesses

She—like other candidates—could be more forthcoming and have stronger stances on budget cuts and taxes. She’s addressed it, but not well enough to answer all the important questions.

Electability

We need someone who is going to appeal to moderates. At the end of the day, she’ll be better for getting moderate votes, and for getting things through a divided Congress.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.