What Not to Wear: Halloween Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

I’ll be honest: I kind of hate Halloween. I don’t like costumes, I don’t like staying up late, and believe me, I don’t need an excuse to eat candy. But if you’re someone who wants to dress up for Halloween, let me guide you away from costumes that may offend people. Some people call this practice “cultural appropriation,” but its street name is “being an asshole.” So let’s avoid being appropriative dicks this Halloween. Here are ten outfits you shouldn’t wear. (I’ve included pictures of these costumes on babies, because otherwise they’re just too annoying to look at. But in the future, y’know, please don’t dress your babies like this either.)

Disclaimer: if you are a member of any of these groups, you should embrace your culture however you see fit. If you’re not, however, you may want to avoid the following…

1. Native American attire

2. Anything with a sombrero

3. Indian saris

4. Rastafari costumes

5. Romani outfits

6. Inuit attire

7. Geisha costumes

8. Dia de los Muertos costumes (really???)

9. Egyptian costumes

10. Anything with a headdress

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.